Book Suggestions??

Decorating By Joshsmom Updated 7 Aug 2005 , 10:11pm by Joshsmom

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have any good cake book recomendations to where there is mostly BC decorating ideas? I have a quite few that show techiniques and of course recipes but was looking more for books that show cake ideas but with only using BC.

I'm not much of a fondant user and it seems most of the cake books out there show mostly ideas in fondant.

I could try adapting the fondant to BC but thought I'd ask for suggestions first.

5 replies
AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 6

Most of the wilton yearbooks have buttercream cake ideas. I have a lot of wilton yearbooks. You should try a search on ebay for cake decorating books and a lot of items will come up under your search. Good luck!

thecakegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakegirl Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 5:59am
post #3 of 6

The 2006 Wilton yearbook just came out and I love it. So many good ideas and many with strictly BC

Joshsmom Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you agentcakebaker and cakegirl. I have all the 90's wilton yearbooks which I refer to often and yesterday just picked up the 2006 yearbook.

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 6

Joshsmom,
I too love to work with buttercream instead of fondant. I am also on the search for the books you are referring to. The ones I have are:
Toba Garett's Well Decorated Book. Beautiful book, she only works with BC, but not too much how-to.
I have on order, Dede Wilson's Wedding Cakes you Can Make. Her book goes into BC with some how-to but lots of recipes for cake combinations, she does a lot of the washes and different filling and different BCs. It's more for recipes.
I also have on order Kay's Decorating, will have to see when I go pick it up if its worth it. I've gotten some mix comments on that one.
There are not too much BC books out there, and that's a shame.
You may want to get a hold of either by ebay or at the public library of Wilton's Encyclopedias, They were published in the 70s and they are a 3 volume set. Pricey on e-bay about $100 each last time I checked. I was able to check out Volume 3 from the library and made copies. They also had Volumes 1 and 2 but they were reference items, yet I made copies of the pages I needed right at the library, and saved $300. Their Encyclopedia is wonderful. It's all BC with royal icing and color flow also. They also use a lot of the poured fondant on their cakes (I would not try that, looks too hard for it to come out perfect).

I will keep my eyes open for any good ones and let you know, if you can, can you let me know also if you find anything?
I will be picking up my books on Wed. will let you know.

Regards, Naty

Joshsmom Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Naty for the suggestions. Let me know what you think of the books you pick up Wed I'd be interested in getting your feedback. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%