Home Depot- Boards

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 30 Dec 2006 , 1:44am by cakemommy

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 25

This is an update to a earlier post. I tried to get a cake round cut at home depot and they do not have the ability to do it. So I will have to go with ordering a masonite round from countrykitchens. This will be a 3 tiered stacked cak so I may glue 2 masonites together. I do not want any bend to prevent my cake from cracking. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

24 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 12:45am
post #2 of 25

Many moons ago I used to work at Home Depot. They only have panel saws that are capable of straight cuts. You can glue two Masonite boards together for strength. Or do you have a local hardware store? Many times they can accommodate cutting requests. I'm lucky - I have DH cut my plywood or masonite. I've also made cake drums, which might be another option for you. Take 4 circles, hot glue together, and cover as usual. If you alternate the corrugation, it adds strength.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 12:55am
post #3 of 25

I've seen the cake circles at the back where all the wood is. Isn't that it?

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 1:06am
post #4 of 25

You could just use a cake drum from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I've put 4 teir cakes on them and they are strong!! Also pretty inexpensive...about $3 each. I order from decopac and wholesale they are less than $1 each.

nglez09 Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 1:12am
post #5 of 25

What's a cake drum SCC?

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 1:34am
post #6 of 25

A cake drum is a thick board already covered in silver, gold, or white. I'm not sure exactly what they are made of but you can buy them at Michaels or Hobby Lobby 3 or 4 to a pack for about $8. I've seen them there in 10-16". Look in my pics and you can see them under most of my cakes. I started using them exclusively about 3 months ago...I just added the cost into my cake prices when I raised the price up a bit. I really like their durability!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 1:41am
post #7 of 25

Hey - why not learn to use power tools? Then you can cut anything any size you want any time!!!!! just a thought.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 3:00am
post #8 of 25

you could also use one of the particle board rounds used for those bed side tables that have 3 legs, or Hobby Lobby sells table tops made out of thick safety glass that make great cake bases.

bostonterrierlady Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 5:09am
post #9 of 25

A lady at Home Depot told me they use to get round boards but they do not anymore.
So you think cake drums will be strong enough? I really want to have this all assembled when I take it.
3 tiiers

Would a 18" wilton cake plate work?
My freezer paper is only 18", so would you just have a seem in it with two pieces?

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 5:43am
post #10 of 25

I use Tuff boards. Plastic corrugated boards.

bostonterrierlady Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 5:46am
post #11 of 25

Where do you find tuff boards?

moydear77 Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 5:51am
post #12 of 25

I get them at my cake store. You can get them online. It seems like this is a lot of weight but only use tuff boards even for my four tiered cakes. You can order them too on www.sweetc.com

nglez09 Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 5:52am
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetConfectionsChef

A cake drum is a thick board already covered in silver, gold, or white. I'm not sure exactly what they are made of but you can buy them at Michaels or Hobby Lobby 3 or 4 to a pack for about $8. I've seen them there in 10-16". Look in my pics and you can see them under most of my cakes. I started using them exclusively about 3 months ago...I just added the cost into my cake prices when I raised the price up a bit. I really like their durability!

AHH YES! I just went to michaels a couple of hours ago and saw them and thought, "Hey, I could use these for my next cakes. I wonder if anyone on CC knows about these." To my surprise it's a no brainer. dunce.gif

nglez09 Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 5:59am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonterrierlady

A lady at Home Depot told me they use to get round boards but they do not anymore.
So you think cake drums will be strong enough? I really want to have this all assembled when I take it.
3 tiiers

Would a 18" wilton cake plate work?
My freezer paper is only 18", so would you just have a seem in it with two pieces?

I'm going to do the same cake! icon_smile.gif I'm using the cake plates from Michaels (they are silver) getting a 14" one.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 6:51am
post #15 of 25

A 14" plate is not large enough for a 14" cake. The plate should be at least two inches larger than the cake.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 2:17pm
post #16 of 25

nglez09, you are a mess! icon_wink.gif You need a 16" drum if you are making the bottom teir 14"! And don't forget to post a pic!

bostonterrierlady, a cake drum is strong enough to hold your cake, but do whatever you like and let us know how it turns out! I'm sure it will be terrific! thumbs_up.gif

moydear77 Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 4:41pm
post #17 of 25

I am confused are we talking abou the in between boards or just the base?? I use tuffs in between and a larger thicker for the base board.

bostonterrierlady Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 6:31pm
post #18 of 25

Yes I am refering to the base only.

moydear77 Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 6:49pm
post #19 of 25

Well for small two tier cakes I still use a tuff. But I do use tuffs for in between the cakes. As far as the base I have used a ruffle board as a base and that was sturdy enough. Are you transporting stacked??

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 1:33am
post #20 of 25

I use a ridgid styrofoam board about 1 inch thick. I buy them at Home Depot. They are pink or blue and come in sheets of 4 X 8 for about $9.00 a sheet. You can get any size or shape by cutting with a razor blade. Make sure you get the ridgid styrofoam and not the styrofoam with white balls sandwiched together. This is not only sturdy but light so that your cake is not as heavy as it would be with wood.

dinkadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinkadoo Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 3:24am
post #21 of 25

If you are worried about cracking, I'd definately use masonite between the tiers. 1 layer should be plenty, I don't think you'd need to glue two of them together.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 11:20pm
post #22 of 25

I saw round boards at Home Depot last night. They were about 1.5" thick, and were around $9 a piece. It would be cheaper to but MDF board and get it cut in circles by a friend with a saw.

jacqrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacqrose Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 11:37pm
post #23 of 25

I hit up lowes the other day and got half inch thick boards. My husband cut them to my specifications, stacked them to make them an inch thick added 1" square pegs so I could get my hands underneath and also put a support underneath the center of the board. he made about 5 of them from 10" to 16" for my varying sizes in cakes. Other than his labor it only cost me $20.

nickluke0705 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickluke0705 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 11:18am
post #24 of 25

I use mellanine boards for in between. I covered them with contact paper. I bought a 4x8 board for $3.99. I used a jigsaw to cut them out. It was very sturdy. As for the bottom, I am thinking you could use a piece of mdf and cover it with contact paper too. I am planning to do this next time. My last cake, with four tiers, went out on a mirror. I worried the whole way. I thought the mirror was going to break! Cake was very heavy 65 lbs! I say figure out how to use power tools that way you know how sturdy it is.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 1:44am
post #25 of 25

The Home Depot near me quit carrying the round table top boards in all sizes so I went to Lowes and they had a bigger selection than Home Depot ever had!!!!!!!!

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%