Whimisical Bakehouse Buttercream - Anyone Tried It?

Decorating By riveritaly Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 6:34am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

riveritaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riveritaly Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 18

I'm always looking for something different from the Wilton class buttercream and I got the Whimiscal Bakehouse book for Christmas. I was just wondering how their buttercream receipe was, and I guess generally all the recipes - are they good?

TIA!
Kim

17 replies
nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 18

I've tried it. I think it was the "house bc". I think there were two types in the book. I liked it..it wasn't as sweet as the regular bc I make. It doesn't crust though. I made it during the summer so it really was soft but everyone liked it.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 18

I also like it for the flavor, but it is really soft and I find it hard to decorate with as the heat from your hands makes it really, really soft.

deb

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 18

I've used the house buttercream also. Everyone loved the texture and the taste. It seems more like a whipped buttercream and is light and fluffy but it doesn't crust. I'll still use it if I don't need a crusting buttercream.

Debbie

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 18

These two are my favorite buttercreams. My children especially like the house buttercream. You can pipe and make some some flowers with it, especially if you make them on a waxed paper and freeze them before you try placing them on the cake. The house is also great for filling in a fbct since it's softness allows it to smooth wonderfully. (I won't use for outlining though, I generally use canned chocolate for that.)

riveritaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riveritaly Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 18

If anyone was wondering, I did make this buttercream. It was a whipped buttercream and absolutely delicious, but like previous posters said, it was very very soft. I wonder if reducing the amount of water would help to make it more stiff for piping?

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 18

I love it too and played around with adding powdered sugar to stiffen it. It was OK- sort of a cross btwn the WBHBC and standard BC.

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 11:02pm
post #8 of 18

I use the WBH House BC for all the cakes I do for a local party place - kids love it, it's not that sweet, it smooths beautifully .... downside - you can do basic decorating with it but it's not stiff enough for anything highly detailed (roses, stringwork, etc.) and it doesn't crust which is fine with me. I have played around with the water/sugar amounts and found that there isn't much of a difference except getting sweeter. In the summer I only use 3/4 cup of water and in the winter I use the full 1 cup.

Kaye's BC (the other recipe in WBH) is more of a SMBC/IMBC - not too sweet, butter flavour, better for adult cakes.

HTH

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 18

I just got this book from the international loan library system and I love this book. The decorating is so cute and the recipes all sound really good. My DH likes fluffy bc, so I thought I would try the house bc for his birthday cake.

It doesn't crust at all? I should have known...the boiling water. I wonder if I only put half the ps in the bowl, then pour the boiling water in like the recipe says, mix it a bit til it cools some, then add the other 1/2 of the ps...wonder if it would have a little bit of a crust then? Maybe I should just stop being so scared of a non crusting BC and just try it!

I got sooo side tracked...what about the cake recipes? Has anyone tried any of those? They sound really good.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:02pm
post #10 of 18

I haven't tried the icing recipes but I have tried the Chocolate Butter Cake. It always gets rave reviews and so it is the chocolate cake recipe that I use. The only thing is that I have never gotten the same yield although I make the recipe right by the recipe.

I've also tried the Yellow Cake (I believe that's what it is called) and it was good also.

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:15pm
post #11 of 18

I use the house buttercream alot. It doesn't crust but for some reason I can make it smoother that some other recipes I've tried. have tried the freckled mocha cake. It was good with chocolate / nutella filling. love the book. I always get it out to look at the transfers she does.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm
post #12 of 18

I have it and have tried nearly every recipe in the book. Both buttercream recipes are good. They are soft, so I use a different recipe to make my decorators icing.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:25pm
post #13 of 18

I love their BC recipes. I use one or the other for every cake I make and the book is a permanent fixture on my kitchen counter. If it's outside or humid, I use the house buttercream but everyone always prefers Kaye's. It's perfect. Kaye's is the best for smoothing but you have to chill it after the crumb coat to get a smooth finish, mine are never perfect but I don't aim for a completely smooth finish anyway. I've made roses with both recipes, it holds up great for piping borders and such but I've never done stringwork or anything too extreme.
As for cakes, i used to use her chocolate cake recipe but after trying hershey's cake recipe, substituting coffee for the water, I've never gone back. I also tried the freckled mocha cake but i couldn't figure out which icing and filling to use with it. I tried regular buttercream and coffee or chocolate, I forget which and neither were quite right. I always meant to try it again but never got around to it. I've also tried the lemon cake but wasn't a fan, it was too heavy but I think that's just my taste, I prefer oil based cakes or fluffier cakes rather than dense cakes.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:36pm
post #14 of 18

Where can i get this recipe do they have a website? Thanks

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:51pm
post #15 of 18

Why would boiling water affect crusting? Just curious. Sharon from Sugarshack uses "hot" (not boiling) coffee creamer in her icing, and it crusts. Is ther something about boiling water that affects crusting. Sorry to turn the discussion, but I have just not heard of this before. Thanks!

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:35pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1970

Why would boiling water affect crusting? Just curious. Sharon from Sugarshack uses "hot" (not boiling) coffee creamer in her icing, and it crusts. Is ther something about boiling water that affects crusting. Sorry to turn the discussion, but I have just not heard of this before. Thanks!

I'm not absolutely sure, Tracey, really I was guessing. I didn't see alot of difference between the Bakehouse bc and the recipe I currently use except the ratio of butter to shortening. That isn't so major though. I don't think that would keep it from crusting. The only other difference is the order they mix the ingredients in and the fact that they pour BOILING, not hot, water on top of the powdered sugar. (Maybe I said hot in my post above, sorry, the recipe says "boiling") By doing this you would have to be melting those tiny sugar crystals, getting rid of some of the grit, but also losing the crusting factor.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:40am
post #17 of 18

I've used hot water for the house buttercream instead of boiling water and it doesn't make it crust, the icing is just grittier.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:34am
post #18 of 18

the crusting effect is due to the ratio of the fat (butter/shortening) to sugar. lots of sugar to the amount of fat will make the BC crust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%