Dominican Republic Cake Recipe

Baking By m0use Updated 7 Mar 2005 , 8:19pm by m0use

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 9 Feb 2005 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering if anyone would happen to have a recipe for a type of cake that is from the Dominican Republic. I found a recipe for icing but not the cake. I was going to do a cake last year for a friend but she wanted that particular flavor, the lady that she was going to get the recipe from did not want to share it because she make the cake from memory and could not write it down. icon_cry.gif .....and since I recently joined this website I thought I make a request... that way when my friend and her husband move back to the states, this would make a nice surprise anniversary cake. (I don't know what the flavor is, just that it is from the Dominican Republic)

4 replies
m0use Posted 14 Feb 2005 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 5

I did a google search and found it icon_biggrin.gif
Here's the link for what I found:
http://www.marscafe.com/php/downloads/recipes/creolecake.txt

If anyone thinks that this is not the right recipe let me know. Otherwise everyone feel free to benefit from my research. thumbs_up.gif

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 14 Feb 2005 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 5

My Wilton instructor gave us the recipe for the cake, but I recall it called for 12 eggs (12 yolks for cake, and 12 egg whites for the icing, called "suspiro"). And 1lb of flour. His recipe was somewhat a lighter version of the typical dense cake. I'll try to dig it out and share it. He is a Dominican, so I take it the recipe is legit.
Hope I can find it though icon_wink.gif)

Now, a note of caution: If you're diabetic or hypoglycemic, just have a taste of the Suspiro; don't eat it all or you'll be close to going into shock. It happened to me and I have not come near that cake since! It is all sugar and eggs!

m0use Posted 14 Feb 2005 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks godiva- I look forward to it when you find it icon_wink.gif

m0use Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 5

This is another recipe I found, very similar to the first one I found:
Bizcocho dominicano
(Dominican cake)
Dominican cake is the center of Dominican celebration. No wedding, baptism or birthday is complete in the Dominican Republic without our delicious traditional cake. Check our lesson that explains how to prepare a yummy meringue and another where we show you how to prepare the filling and how to prepare the cake.
Time: 90 Mins
Difficulty: Advanced
Serve: 8 people
Before starting to cook: Butter up and flour a baking pan (5-inch tall by 10 inches in diameter). Heat up the oven to 350 °F.
Ingredients:
220 grams of softened butter
1 pinch of grated lemon peel
1/2 cup of orange juice
1 cup of of pineapple jam
220 grams of all-purpose wheat flour
220 grams of sugar
2 tablespoons of vanilla
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3 eggs
5 egg whites (for the meringue)
1 cup of sugar (for the meringue)
Preparation:
Mix the flour and baking powder and sift together. Reserve.
Beat together the butter and sugar until it turns creamy and has a lighter color (about 8 mins). One by one add the eggs and continue beating until the egg is completely incorporated before adding each new egg. Slowly add the orange juice, lemon peel and vanilla. Add the flour and continue beating until it has a smooth and uniform consistency.
Pour pineapple filling in the baking pan, pour the batter. Put in the oven until you insert a knife in the center of the cake and it comes out clean. Let cool down to room temperature. Cut any crust that might have formed.
To make the meringue:
In a bowl beat the egg whites until it forms peaks. Slowly add the sugar until it is completely incorporated. Spread the meringue on top and around the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%