Army Tank Grooms Cake - Due Dec 28Th!

Decorating By imartsy Updated 30 Dec 2006 , 4:48pm by knoxcop1

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 18

I need to make an army tank for about 35 people. I need help! I've seen some great pics here but I don't know what to do or how to do it! If anyone can tell me some ideas or give me some tips - or detailed instructions..... I'd sure appreciate it!!!

Ooh and a good choc. cake recipe that would be good for this "tank"..... I have a Ghiradelli cake recipe or the Hershey's one..... or I could do cake mix w/ additions.......... anyone have a favorite one that's good for "carving" a tad?

17 replies
imartsy Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 18

Can anyone help?

imartsy Posted 25 Dec 2006 , 1:45am
post #3 of 18

anyone???

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 25 Dec 2006 , 1:48am
post #4 of 18

I have no idea where to start. I think this is such a cool idea. Especially since my Hubby is former Army.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 25 Dec 2006 , 1:49am
post #5 of 18

Bake 2 13x9's and cut them both in half lengthwise. Stack two pieces with icing between, and carve them for the "body." Then, using the two pieces that are left, carve out oval-ish shapes for each track.

Frost it up using a good drawing off the web, and VOILA'! Army tank!

HTH,
--Knox--

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 25 Dec 2006 , 2:17am
post #6 of 18

yep, that's what I do..I google an image and do my best to follow it..sometimes I will print it out and use as template.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 25 Dec 2006 , 2:56am
post #7 of 18

i agree with finding a picture and seeing how to detail it. here is a search of all the tanks here on cc...there are 27 that i see. take a look and see if any of them have posted instructions. merry christmas!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&meta=search&type=full&search=army+tank+

momlovestocook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momlovestocook Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 18

I made a tank for a friend's son this summer. I think I used either a 9x13 or 11x15 rectangle pan and then cut one piece smaller than the other and put it on top. I used fondant for the tracks and gun barrel(wrapped around a straw). I angled the front and the back to imitate a tank shape and added a 6 inch round on top. I put a skewer into the straw and stuck it into the round. Dh was in the army so he was very quick to critique the design LOL. The wheels are chocolate dipped oreos.
The picture is in my photos.

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 12:03am
post #9 of 18

I just uploaded a tank that I recently did. Look in my photos, I can't add it directly to this post. It took me about 2 1/2 hours to complete I made a full sheet cake and cut it into thirds each 8x16 stacked them then cut away to get the shape covered with fondant. I made the top piece from the cut away cake and covered that in fondant and glued it on with buttercream. the gun is a dowel rod. I charged $350. for this cake
mpc

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 6:47am
post #10 of 18

I was going to also suggest following the idea of what mypastrychef made. glad to see that they posted it. ($350? amen! you GO !!) here is the link:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=mypastrychef&cat=0&pos=21

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 8:28pm
post #11 of 18

Am I too late to share one of my favorite chocolate cake recipes? Everyone LOVES this cake when I make it. It's from cake mix doctor.

1 box devils food cake mix (the recipe doesn't call for it, but I buy the one with pudding in the mix and it's super moist)
1 1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup oil
3 eggs
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla

As long as you're not stacking too high (as I discovered this weekend) this is a great cake recipe. icon_smile.gif

imartsy Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 11:26pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks everyone for your help and inspiration. My cake is in my photos, and I'm attaching it here too - I took a few pictures from different angles and then combined them icon_smile.gif

Please go to my pic and comment if you like it! If you don't like it - well keep your comments to yourself icon_razz.gificon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Oh btw - thanks for the recipe too. I'll have to try it next time. I went w/ a Ghiradelli choc. fudge cake recipe but I used Hershey's powdered cocoa b/c I couldn't seem to find Ghiradelli in any of the stores.
LL

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 3:46am
post #13 of 18

SWEET!!!
Does it use batteries or diesel?
Ha Ha
Ha Ha
mpc

imartsy Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 3:55am
post #14 of 18

LOL. Well I did actually buy a model that I was going to try to copy - until I opened it up and realized how small and stupid and useless the little pieces were - guess that's what you get for $12.00 - plus I didnt' realize models didn't come with glue - what the crap??? The pictures were helpful. Your tank cake was helpful too mypastrychef - as was a cake from "I dream of cake" .

I may upload my photo again too - I don't think too many people saw it today b/c it got bumped right off the front page like 10 seconds after I posted it.... and it doens't look so interesting as a thumbnail.... so if you see another one - it's just 'cause I'm trying for a better pic icon_smile.gif

THanks again for everyone's help and ideas!

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 4:06am
post #15 of 18

Your cake turned out GREAT!!!!!!!

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 5:12am
post #16 of 18

That tank rocks! Great job!

aboelkens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aboelkens Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 5:19am
post #17 of 18

Amazing job! Katharry said it best, it rocks!!

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 4:48pm
post #18 of 18

WOW!! That cake is simply AMAZING.

I am seriously impressed.

*bows down in Wayne's World fashion*

"We're not worthy! We're not worthy!"

--Knox--

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%