What Type Of Commercial Oven Do You Own/would You Buy?

Business By kathik Updated 13 Jun 2017 , 4:17pm by nycdweller

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 3:54am
post #1 of 23

I am working on researching a commercial oven for my business and I am unsure what to look for.

I was originally looking at a convection type oven but I noticed a model I had been looking at when I was at a local event. When I started chatting with the kitchen manager he seemed surprised that I was looking into a convection oven and encouraged me to try one out first to see if I really like it. Well, that isn't feasible for me since I would need one that is new or has been kashered. (This was isn't kosher or likely to be kashered).

Anyway, I would be baking cakes, cookies and breads. So what do you have? What do you like? What has been your experience with convection vs. standard electric?

Thanks,
Kathi

22 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 6:42am
post #2 of 23

i love my convection oven...the cakes come out so moist.

it can bake 5 full sheets at a time.

kathik Posted 24 Dec 2006 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 23

littlecake,

Do you have to change temperatures or baking times for regular recipes? I have heard that convection ovens cook differently. Would you mind sharing the brand and model you have?

Thanks,
Kathi

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 25 Dec 2006 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 23

Things to look for with a convection oven. Is a two speed fan. Or an option to shut the fan off and still bake with it. Baking with convection takes some practice. The commercial ovens we have at work, took me along time to get the hang of. The fan in the commercial brand we have run at a much stronger rate then the one i have at home. Make sure to find yourself a knowledgable saleperson, that can take you through the difference in the types of ovens.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 1:17am
post #5 of 23

My oven at my shop is awesome. It was made in Sarasota Florida, so I drove up and toured the factory. I have a 3 shelf oven. It has space to bake 3 full sheet cakes at a time. I only do 3 or 4 weddings a week. You may need a bigger one.
The oven has a gentle fan for cake baking and was designed for that purpose. I love it and I bought it 6 years ago. You don't have to do anything different. I just look up when the timer on the oven goes off to see if they are ready. I didn't have to get used to it. As a newbie I didn't know if I could give the manufacture or not?

kathik Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 2:55am
post #6 of 23

To my knowledge there isn't anything wrong with naming brands. I'd love to know the name of manufacturer plus the model you have so I can look at it. It sounds like a good size for me.

Thanks,
Kathi

sugarlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlove Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 3:10am
post #7 of 23

Bump!

I too am in the market for a commercial convection oven for mainly cakes, cheesecakes, and cookies. It would be very helpful to others reading this thread for people to provide the manufacturers name of the equipment they are commenting about. I would love to get some feedback (positive or negative) on some of the commercial ovens that are being used now or in the past by our fellow cakecentral members. Now, I have a question regarding the convention oven fan speed...I have heard others on other boards mention 2 speeds or the option to disable or turn off the fan altogether. Will anyone mind sharing some of the brands that have the feature to disable or turn off the fan in a convection oven. I know the Blodgett convection ovens feature the 2 fan speeds but I am unsure about the disable feature.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 3:19am
post #8 of 23

Kathi, My oven is a De Luxe, check www.deluxeovens.com
I love it. The model CR-2-3 has 3 shelves. I bake several wedding cakes, plus sample cakes at a time. I just load it up and get my batter ready for the next batch. I bake all my white/french vanilla cakes first. Then I do chocolate or what ever is next. Or if I am lazy, I do my chocolate cakes the next day.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 3:24am
post #9 of 23

The convection oven they have at the shop I bake at has the ability to turn off the fan completely, which is what I do. It has an electric range top, and isn't any bigger than my oven at home. I'll be there tomorrow night, I'll try to remember to check the brand. I know that when I get my own shop I will definitely need something a little bigger than this one though!

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 9:54am
post #10 of 23

My equipment is pretty old now, but I use a Commercial Vulcan gas stove, it has 8 burners on top, it is conventional. I also have a convection oven, electric, that I can put 6 or 7 full sheet pans in. My oven has a vent, that can be open or shut it you want humidity in or not. I use this oven mostly for my cookies. I have used it for my cakes, I was told years ago that if you bake for 3 minutes, cut oven off for 12 minutes, and then turn oven back on and finish the baking, it will help so the cakes don't dome as much. I like the gas oven for my cakes more, but then it is just my preference. Convection cooking is not difficult, but getting used to the times of baking and knowing what your oven can do.

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 26 Dec 2006 , 11:54pm
post #11 of 23

I have an Anvil Prima Convection Oven ... well, I don't want to be too negative, so let's just say that I am in the market for a new one that can bake cookies evenly!! So, here's a bump ...

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 2:32am
post #12 of 23

I am in the market for a new one - I bought mine used and it will not bake a cake or cookies evenly!! It burns the outside of the cake and the middle will not be done - it drives me nuts. I looked at the Deluxe Equipment website - I will give them a call and see how much there ovens run!!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 7:35am
post #13 of 23

i think mine is a blodgett

i bake cakes at 275 for 25 to 30 minutes.

the fan has 2 speeds ...and a vent.

i love it for cakes...but it doesn't do well for cheesecake...they crack every time in it, no matter what tricks i try.

kathik Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 7:42am
post #14 of 23

Thanks for all the answers. You guys are giving me a lot to think about!

Kathi

tmdoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmdoxie Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 9:16am
post #15 of 23

When I studied interior design, Viking and Wolf were the two brands that were always dicussed in class. I think it all boils down to your budget and what you like aestically. Personally, I like Wolf. KitchenAid also makes 36 inch ovens, but I dont know if that's big enough. Additionally, there is Thermador, but that's at the end of high end and I dont know if you could afford to spend 10 grand on an oven.

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 5:33pm
post #16 of 23

What about MOFFAT? Anyone have any experience with them - they appear to be on the more afforadable side as far as commercial ovens go.

nicoles-a-tryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles-a-tryin Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 5:42pm
post #17 of 23

Well.. I just thought I would let everyone know...NOT TO BUY A WHIRLPOOL GOLD!!!!! For your kitchen (at home). I have a double oven, convection on the top (bottom doesn't come in convection). I did LOVE it then...all of a sudden...My cakes look like this. I have done EVERYTHING!!!
I do not use DH, I mix properly etc. And the guy who they sent to fix it has been over 15 times...And still can't find out what is wrong. He asked if I am new to baking cakes...maybe it is me..NICE EH?
Anyway, I had to buy a oven for the basement, Thank god!!!!!
Or I wouldn't of been able to do anything.

Just a warning...They are horrible, It has seriously been since July!!!
LL

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 5:47pm
post #18 of 23

For regular sized cakes, would it be "unlawful" to use an oven that you'd use at home at a business establishment?

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 10:26pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoles-a-tryin

Well.. I just thought I would let everyone know...NOT TO BUY A WHIRLPOOL GOLD!!!!! For your kitchen (at home). I have a double oven, convection on the top (bottom doesn't come in convection). I did LOVE it then...all of a sudden...My cakes look like this. I have done EVERYTHING!!!
I do not use DH, I mix properly etc. And the guy who they sent to fix it has been over 15 times...And still can't find out what is wrong. He asked if I am new to baking cakes...maybe it is me..NICE EH?
Anyway, I had to buy a oven for the basement, Thank god!!!!!
Or I wouldn't of been able to do anything.

Just a warning...They are horrible, It has seriously been since July!!!

Oh wow. Those are. . . .not what I'd call cakes. icon_lol.gif Did you get a warranty on it? It is probably a defective one; I doubt all of them bake cakes that bad. Ouch. icon_cool.gif

nicoles-a-tryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles-a-tryin Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 10:31pm
post #20 of 23

Actually the oven is only 5 years old. And warrenty is pass. It was fine before.
But having alot of problems with the company trying to fix it...Takin their time...and CAN"T find what is wrong..And we had horrible horrible results with the people they sent to try to fix it!!!
I will never buy another Whirlpool that is sure. We went through our Thanksgiving and xmas...NO oven!!!

izzycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzycake Posted 21 Nov 2016 , 9:39pm
post #21 of 23

I think its worth while buying a commercial convection oven! If you get one that has water injection then your cakes will come out extra moist! Got mine from here https://www.professionalkitchens.co.uk/shop/cooking-equipment/convection-ovens

lsneed62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsneed62 Posted 28 May 2017 , 5:18pm
post #22 of 23

When I first opened my business I just bought a regular LG Range LRG4113  that got the best reviews for cake baking. It IS an excellent range. It has 5 burners and the largest non commercial oven on the market at almost 6 cu ft! It bakes super evenly and I swear by it - but I need more oven space so I'm researching a commercial oven too..

nycdweller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nycdweller Posted 13 Jun 2017 , 4:17pm
post #23 of 23

Hi Kathi,

A commercial convection oven is going to save your sanity. You can load it up and bake multiple cakes at once and save yourself hours of baking time. Also, the commercial ovens are generally much better built that ones intended for home use, so even though you can use those (it's not illegal), you are better off with a commercial one. And definitely buy used if you can and save yourself a few thousand dollars. Good brands to look for are Blodgett, Garland and Wolf. I'm not sure of the rules, but think you can get a rabbi in to kasher your oven. I interned for Ron Ben Israel a million years ago and he would have the rabbi come in an set up the kitchen for his kosher baking. The rest of the time it was definitely not kosher (except for the separate pans). Ask around and see before you go to purchase your oven. Hope this helped!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%