Peanut Butter Silk Cake Help?

Baking By playingwithsugar Updated 4 Nov 2007 , 9:56pm by playingwithsugar

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Nov 2007 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 8

Just find a yellow butter cake recipe with scratch ingredients on the Internet, and use that in place of the cake mix.

I think that sponge cake would be way too dense for this to work.

Here is a link to one that I am sure will work for you.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/yellowandwhitecakes/r/bl40318n.htm

Theresa icon_smile.gif

7 replies
joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 4 Nov 2007 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 8

The standard 'cake-mix' box on store shelves here are 18.25 oz or 'same as' 1LB and 25 oz ( I looked at a pillsbury cake box in my pantry which I prefer to use when I do an extended recipie but I'm pretty sure the measurements for all brands of cake mix down the isles are the same.) It shouldn't hurt to use another brand of cake mix as long as it's basic 'cake' and not a pound or sponge or other type..you wouldn't want to stray too far from actual recipie. I have made some small changes on some of the recipies on here and have no t had any problems so far. They have always been great turn outs. I hope this helps. Image

playingwithsugar Posted 4 Nov 2007 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 8

She's in the United Kingdom, kiddo. They don't have cake mixes there like we have them here.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 4 Nov 2007 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

She's in the United Kingdom, kiddo. They don't have cake mixes there like we have them here.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Yeah !!!! At last you know what us Aussies have to deal with when every damn recipe includes 1 box of Duncan Hines -
He could nearly run for the US Presidency!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

(This is not a sarcastic comment to "playingwithsugar" just a comment on the topic) - you guys NEVER get out Aussie humour!

playingwithsugar Posted 4 Nov 2007 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 8

Ok, applegumkitchen, take a deep breath!

I know exactly what you are going through, my friend, as I cannot get copha here!

I belong to two different cake decorating forums which are sourced from AU. I was given a flower modeling paste recipe from one of the forum owners, which I cannot make because we do not have that darn stuff here! Crisco vegetable shortening just does not work with the recipe she gave me.

You folks also do not have the convenience of cake mixes like the ones we have here. Nor do you have Crisco, to make the buttercream icing that many of them speak of here.

Yes, there are some markets there which carry the ingredients which we Yanks speak of here, but they are few and far between, and when you do find those brands and ingredients, they are quite expensive.

And since I belong to those AU-based forums, I do, indeed, get your sense of humor. Surprise! No offense taken here!

Glad to have helped you get the word out that not everyone in the world knows who the heck Betty Crocker is in the first place!

Your friend -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 4 Nov 2007 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 8

Hi Theresa!! icon_biggrin.gif
Glad to find somebody who "gets" it !! icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
We are familiar with 'BETTY' just don't have a clue who the hell 'DUNCAN' is - matter of fact we find it difficult to understand all this add a packet of this and a packet of that.... your supermarkets must price things a LOT differently over there. Here we are SLUGGED big time for being lazy - packet mixes are more expensive than the raw ingredients required to make the cake, so there is absolutely NO advantage to using boxes.

What is the flower modelling paste recipe? I have one that uses liquid glucose (can you get that there?) and not copha - my recipe for plastic fondant contains copha.

How do you manage without Chocolate Crackles!!!!!! icon_sad.gif (what most Aussies use Copha for - oh and White Xmas slice!!

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 4 Nov 2007 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Just find a yellow butter cake recipe with scratch ingredients on the Internet, and use that in place of the cake mix.

I think that sponge cake would be way too dense for this to work.

Here is a link to one that I am sure will work for you.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/yellowandwhitecakes/r/bl40318n.htm

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the link. I have looked at the recipe and i will make it from scratch. I can't wait to try this recipe out. Thanks again for all of your help.

playingwithsugar Posted 4 Nov 2007 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 8

That's what we're here for.

You're quite welcome.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%