Help Settle A Difference Of Opinion, Please!

Decorating By Sugar_Plum_Fairy Updated 31 Oct 2007 , 8:38am by FrostinGal

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 11

The mother of one of my daughter's fellow Girl Scouts e-mailed me last week in need of a tennis cake. She's seen and tasted my cakes at a couple of Girl Scout functions. I don't know if she knows/knew that I charged for those that I don't donate to the troop, but I e-mailed her back saying that I could do it for Nov. 4th and that I charge $2.50 a slice for buttercream cakes and $1 extra p/slice if the cake is to be covered in fondant. I also told her I'd need details: flavors, fillings, any allergies, servings, etc. I also attached an idea of a tennis cake that I found on the net and told her it wasn't mine, but that I could do one very similar to that, or if she had something else in mind to let me know.

She e-mailed back that that was fine and she needs a chocolate cake with just buttercream, the design on the photo I forwarded was fine and that she needed it to serve eight (icon_cool.gif.

So I know have to bake the cake and I was going to originally use my 8x8x3 pan and cut it down a little and then came across my 6x6x3 pan and decided to use that one instead. I'm still annoyed at the fact that this is such a small cake, but hubby said not to turn it down as it's still exposure. He also told me to use the larger pan and if she has extra, so be it.

Am I being too cheap wanting to use the smaller size? Wouldn't that be enough for eight servings. I'm also doing a RI net in the center of the court and four sets of criss-crossed tennis racquets between two tennis balls - one for each side of the cake in addition to the court design on top of the cake. This cake is $20.

Opinions, please. (I'm in such a grumpy mood lately, I don't know if I'm being too snooty, grumpy and unreasonable with this cake.)

10 replies
2sdae Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 11

The 3.50 a slice is fine for the 8x8 cake but I would charge extra for the R.I. net and rackets. That really incorporates much more work that you should be
well compensated for.
I would do the 8x8 but it would be more than what you are charging.
I can see where you'd want to save and use the smaller pan but will it sacrifice the look and design? If so she needs to know that.
I am with you though it does suck when someone orders such a small cake and then has ideas of a more complicated design than would look right on a small scale. Could you down size the deco a bit and maybe then you wouldn't feel so bad?

JanH Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 11

Wilton says a 6" cake layer (3" deep) will yield 12 party size servings. icon_smile.gif

If you WANT to do the larger cake, I'd include an invoice which clearly states the normal price and indicates the "discount" given.

(Otherwise, if you get future business from this lady or as a result of this cake - the customers won't understand why their cakes are more expensive or not as large for the price.)

JMHO

MadPhoeMom Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 11

yes, i agree with jan h., if you DO the bigger cake, be sure and note on the receipt somewhere that it was bigger than necessary......

do what it takes to make the cake great....

gosh, don't you just want to tell people sometimes: GO TO WALMART!

sally

auntginn Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 11

I think you should do the 6" cake pan, after all she asked for the cake to feed 8 and is probably not expecting more than that. I would not charge extra for the RI, after all you showed her a pic and quoted her the price.

If you feel you the cake is worth more for the work added (and I do) give her the invoice with the discount as mentioned by the others

indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 11

I am not even turning on my oven for a cake for eight people.

Your basic overhead costs are going to eat up anything you make on this cake.
- The time to mix the batter is the same whether it's for a 6" cake or a 10" cake.
- The time to bake it is roughly the same, whether it's a 6" cake or a 10" cake.
- Cardboard & box costs are roughly the same.
- The time to mix the BC is the same whether you make enough for 6" or for 10" cake.
- Smaller cakes, to me, take longer because of the PITA factor .... with the detail you're describing, it would seem to be a PITA to try to get such small intricate detail on a 6" surface.

Basic. Overhead. Costs.

That's why places have minimums. That's why items that are half the size are never half the price. If you had to meet a payroll to pay an employee to make this cake PLUS the cost of ingredients, you'd be in the hole on this one.

(And who buys a cake for 8 people?? Isn't that what cupcakes are for? And even still, aren't those sold by the dozen?) icon_confused.gif

paolacaracas Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 11

I must agree with Debbi, min. 20, we do min. 40 at my shop.
If you already said yes do it, for the exposure, but for next time you know.

msmeg Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 11

just email he back and tell her your smallest cake serves ____ you can make one smaller but the base price would still be the same as you have to toss the rest of the ingredients.

mbelgard Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 11

If you want to do a cake for so few people but aren't sure about the size to make why don't you email her back and say that for the number of people she's feeding you can do a cake in x" or x" with servings that each yield. Then let her know that at $x.xx a serving the cakes would cost $xx.xx. They don't charge less for a sheet cake at a grocery store because you're only feeding 10 people than they do if you're feeding 25 so why should you.

Make sure she knows how big the slices should be so she can't come back and say that you didn't give her enough cake.

mezzaluna Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 6:08am
post #10 of 11

I won't touch a cake that small. My min. is a 10"! if they want a cake from me, they an get that size.

It takes just as long to decorate a 8 or 10 as it does a 6. There aren't fewer steps in decorating a 6 just because it's smaller!

FrostinGal Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 8:38am
post #11 of 11

I'd like to buy a minivan that seats three, but will you believe they won't sell it to me?!?!
They want to charge me for the space for ALL seven people!
People in h3ll want ice water, she wants a cake that serves 8. Tell her she has to pay for the other 8 servings, too! (2x2 party) AND the royal accents.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%