Is My Time Line Okay?

Decorating By EmilyGrace Updated 31 Oct 2007 , 2:10am by tobycat

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 10

I'm doing a wedding cake for Saturday and I want to make sure my plan is okay! I work full time and get home from work around 6:00 so I usually am unable to start working a cake untill 7:00 or 8:00. I also have a very tiny freezer with no room for a cake! My plan is this:

Wednesday evening - bake all three tiers leave on rack to cool overnight (I usually cover them with a towel)

Thursday morning - wrap in plastic wrap and leave on counter

Thursday evening - torte, fill, crumb coat, refriderate.

Friday evening - cover with fondant and and decorate

Saturday - finish decorating if needed and deliver.

Does this sound okay? Is four days too long? I believe I've done it this way before with no problems but I would love any insight you could give me!

Thanks!

Emily

9 replies
azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 10

that sounds about right, it's what i usually do when i have a big cake to do. you should be fine. good luck on your cake!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 10

Sounds right. You might consider wrapping the cakes on Thursday morning and refrigerating. Take them about for about 20 minutes Thursday night before torting, etc. I believe this will help keep them fresher. For a cake like this, I would actually wrap them on Wed. night after they've cooled for about 1/2 hour and refrigerate from then until I was ready to torte. That's just me though. Your way seems like it will work out fine. thumbs_up.gif
S.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 10

That would be fine with me as well, except I would put in fridge. I realize you don't have the space, but because of where I live, humidity and all, I've left cake out and it begins to smell funny and then I'm uncomfortable with it.

Good luck, maybe a neighbor could help with the fridge part.

EmilyGrace Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks! That sounds good. If it's not too late on wednesday to wait for them to cool I will wrap and refridgerate! icon_smile.gif If not I'll wrap and refridgerate in the morning! Thanks for setting my mind at ease!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 10

Your timeline sounds good. I agree with the wrapping and refridgerating.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 10

I would wrap on Wed night rather than let them sit out all night uncovered so they can start to dry out. The saran will help retain the moisture. If you can freeze some of them .... the larger ones will be easier to work with if they are slightly frozen .... or if your freezer won't hold the big ones, then freeze the smaller ones.

EmilyGrace Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 9:47pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks indydebi... maybe I'll have to try to clean out my freezer tonight! I've never tried freezing a cake but I've heard it does make it much easier to handle. At least it would help for the larger tier. Will it be okay to wrap the cake in saran wrap if they are still slightly warm? If I do freeze them do I torte and fill them while they are still frozen?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 10

I have wrapped cakes "slightly" warm and froze them ok. I don't normally tort my weddings and I don't freeze them already filled. I have no particular reason why or why not .... I just never have, so I will leave that question for those who have experience with doing it that way to help you out.

When you're ready to work with the cakes, they only have to lay out a couple of hours or so to be thawed enough to work with. They thaw really fast. leave them wrapped in the saran while they are thawing.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 2:10am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyGrace

Thanks indydebi... maybe I'll have to try to clean out my freezer tonight! I've never tried freezing a cake but I've heard it does make it much easier to handle. At least it would help for the larger tier. Will it be okay to wrap the cake in saran wrap if they are still slightly warm? If I do freeze them do I torte and fill them while they are still frozen?

I wrap mine while slightly warm, but if it was a Wed - Sat. thing I'd let them cool about 1/2 hour first. Then wrap them. They'll be fine in the fridge or the freezer.

Some fillings are okay to freeze -- others aren't. I've never done it, but I've seen plenty of threads about it. I would just freeze whole and torte later. Give frozen cakes about 1/2 hour to thaw before cutting -- it's hard to get a nice even cut if they're too hard. Give the refrigerated ones about 10 minutes to get to room temp before cutting.

Some people are against wrapping while still warm because of the concern about bacteria growth, but it's never affected me or anyone I know who does it because the cakes go immediately into the refrigerator, and they are used within a couple of days. I could see where it would be a problem if you were waiting a week maybe, but no worries about a couple of days.

HOpe this helps.

S.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%