Using Ribbon On Bc

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 31 Oct 2007 , 3:36am by jen2184

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 14

Hi all i have a wedding cake coming up in a week and i want to use ribbon as the bands on the cakes 3 stacked the cake is off white with burgundy satin ribbon my thinking is that the BC will stain the ribbon so i put some icing on a scrap piece i had and it just turned it a little darker my questions is do you think it will fade on the cake/ it will be set up around 10am and the cutting of the cake will be around 3.00 what do you think or should i be safe and put parchment paper around it too??
Thanks to all for your help icon_rolleyes.gif

13 replies
EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 14

When I put a ribbon around a buttercream cake I iron it in between two peices of wax paper first. This leaves a thin coating of wax on the ribbon and prevents the grease from soaking in. Maybe test it on a small peice of the ribbon your using first to make sure but I haven't had a problem using this method!

Good luck!

Emily

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyGrace

When I put a ribbon around a buttercream cake I iron it in between two peices of wax paper first. This leaves a thin coating of wax on the ribbon and prevents the grease from soaking in. Maybe test it on a small peice of the ribbon your using first to make sure but I haven't had a problem using this method!

Good luck!
Emily

Great ideal thats a million icon_wink.gif

EmilyGrace Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 14

No problem! Glad I could help! Hope it works for you!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 14

Question: how do you iron wax paper without gumming up your iron? I'm confused.

EmilyGrace Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 14

I've never had a problem using my iron on wax paper. When I was a kid we used to iron crayon shavings in between wax paper to make a melty design. The wax on the paper doesn't seam to come off on the iron.

I tear off two peices of wax paper, place the ribbon in between, and iron once the iron starts getting hot. I never wait for the iron to heat up all the way, I guess you could use a lower setting as well. Once I've ironed one side I flip it over and iron the other side. The two peices of wax paper stick together so you just peel them apart to get to your ribbon. If your worried about wax staying on the iron you could wipe it down once it cools but i've never had a problem.

Hope that helps!

Emily

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 14

Does it have to be satin ribbon? I use polyeurothane ribbon (craft dept - Walmart) on a good crusting buttercream and I never have spots, except that one place in the back where the two ends meet and are held together by one dot of icing.

Even when I'm doing the ribbon design where it's woven right into the icing, it's odd, but it doesnt' grease up the PolyU ribbon.

jen2184 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen2184 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 14

i have done buttercream cakes with ribbons many times, it has never stained.just try it on one tier before you stack the rest.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 14

I had this problem last month when I did this cake.. I ironed the Wax Paper three times , front and back of the ribbon, the grease will still go thru a litle bit regardless, but better than a lot of stain or greas, also what I noticed it takes away some of the shine from the Satin Ribbon because of the wax..So I thought next time, i will put cellophane tape behind it.
LL

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 14

I too have used ribbon on my crusting bc cakes and have had no real issues with spots. Try to find the PollyU ribbon indydebi is talking about. It should do the trick too.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:47pm
post #11 of 14

Does Poly U Ribbon come in a wide variety of colors ? I had to used Satin Champagne which was the color of the wedding.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 11:33pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgrl

Does Poly U Ribbon come in a wide variety of colors ? I had to used Satin Champagne which was the color of the wedding.

My walmart has about 1/3 of an aisle of ribbons in the craft section (by the wilton stuff). Most of it is polyeurothane.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 3:21am
post #13 of 14

Well, I'm going to be odd woman out. I refuse to use anything other than edible ribbon, made from fondant, and dyed to match whatever needs to be matched.

jen2184 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen2184 Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 3:36am
post #14 of 14

i hae to agree with leahs, fondant edible ribbons are really easy and more less of a hassel then real ribbon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%