Freezing Pies

Decorating By Lisa93063 Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 5:51pm by gr8yf

Lisa93063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa93063 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 11

I know this isn't about cake, but I wanted to know if it is possible to freeze pies. Picked too many apples and had to use them up. Made six pies. If freezing is possible, what is the best method to thaw?

10 replies
swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 11

hers a bump becuase i did the same thing (25 lbs of apples) but instead mine are just sitting i really need to cook them soon.

cookinmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinmamma Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 11

I haven't done this with "homemade" pies, but I bought a few pies on big time sale at Albertson's a few years back and froze them with great success. When I was ready for the pie I took it out let it warm just a bit, turned on the oven to 350 (didn't pre-heat) stuck the pie in and about 30 minutes or so, it is warm and just like fresh baked. I did this two different times (once for church and once for a dinner party) no one ever even knew it wasn't my recipe and they really didn't know it had been in the freezer. Hope that helps.

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 11

The ladies at our church make pies for the freezer every year (both fruit and meat pies). They just make the pies and put them in a ziplock freezer bag and straight into the freezer. When it comes time to bake I just bake from frozen. Turns out great. I don't have an exact time for baking, just until they "look" done.

katro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katro Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 11

I freeze pies a lot. With apple I usually freeze before baking, make the pie up as normal and then baking while frozen adding a little extra time for the frozen state. If you have already baked them then I would try to freeze them and then just stick them in the oven for 15 or minutes when you are ready to cook them. I don't know how they would turn out but that is how you buy them in the frozen food section a lot of time. worth a try

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 11

shayshay so you freeze before baking then?

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 11

here is some information to keep in mind for freezing:

Freezing Pies

Q:Can you freeze fruit pies after baking? Will this ruin them? Specifically apple pie?

A: It is much better to freeze a fruit pie before baking than after â the texture suffers substantially if frozen after cooking. If you must, thaw it at room temperature for about three hours, and then crisp it in a 450°F (235°C) oven for about 20 minutes.

If you can freeze the pie before baking it, donât defrost it when the time comes. Bake it unwrapped at 425°F (220°C) for 15 to 20 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350°F (175°C) for the remainder of the cooking time. The total baking time will be about 20 minutes longer than for an unfrozen pie.

http://ochef.com/457.htm

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 11

Yes they are frozen before baking. The ladies make up about two hundred pies and then sell them as a fundraiser for $5. They sell so quickly! Great for people like me that can not make pies!

When I worked at a grocery store, the pies there came in the frozen, unbaked also. We just put them on baking sheets, sprinkled with a course sugar and popped them into the oven.

Lisa93063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa93063 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I appreciate the help.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:58pm
post #10 of 11

The only problem with freezing apple pies ( unbaked) is the apples will turn dark on you so you need to use a commercial color protector. Both baked and unbaked fruit pies can be frozen. Unbaked- freeze and then wrap. Bake on lower shelf 425 degrees 10 to 20 minutes longer than the recipe states. Baked- only until lightly browned- freeze and wrap - partially thaw and finish baking at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. (These direction are from the Farm Journal Pie cookbook.) I have always frozen the pies unbaked and it worked fine.

You can always make apple sauce and freeze that. That's what I've done in the past when I've had several bushels of apples to deal with.

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 11

Today is the last day of apples Granny Smith for 39 cents a pound, Stock Up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%