How Do I Get Into The Biz??

Decorating By Suzie383 Updated 31 Oct 2007 , 2:10am by kimberlina25

Suzie383 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, I am new here, and I apologize in advance if there is already a topic for this. I really want to get into decorating/making cakes. I have always loved baking, decorating, and will be taking my first Wilton class next week! I can't wait! In the off chance that I am good at it, and I enjoy it, I would love to do it as a side job to start either for friends and family, or getting a real job doing it part time and maybe eventually full time. Here is my question. Once I have all the classes done, and have done enough experimenting on my own, do I go to my local bakery? Do I got to the local supermarkets for a job? I don't even know the closest bakery that sells the type of wedding cakes I have seen on here that I want to make. Can anyone tell me where to start? Thanks for any and all help!! Just wanted to say, I have been looking at the cake galleries and they are just beautiful! Words cannot describe how wonderful they are. You are all very talented, and I hope I can be even a part as good as some of you! Keep up the great work!! thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
ccr03 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 7

First off, congratulations and welcome!! You'll soon find out that cake decorating rocks!!!

Second, I would recommend taking it one step at a time. One thing that has been repeated on here, in a helpful way, is that starting a cake business means starting a business first and then doing the cakes. I would love to have a business some day, but I know that I have to get into the business mind frame first.

But, if you see that you like it and love it, definitely go out and apply at some grocery stores or search the internet for local bakeries.

One thing of caution, it's a lot harder than it looks. I remember once my brother wanted to help on a cake and after some simple piping, admitted that I make it look much easier than it is.

JoAnnB Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 7

Depending on what state you live in, you may be able to have a home-based bakery for cakes. Some states require a completely separate kitchen. Some will license a home kitchen, with some limitations.

Suzie383 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 7

Hey, thanks for advice! I don't know if I would want to own my own shop one day, my mom had her own business, and it is tought being your own boss, so I compliment anyone who does it! I think I would be more interested in the artistic side of just designing and decorating the cakes, and letting someone else deal with the headaches of insurance, health codes, employees, etc, etc... BUt, who knows what the future holds. I know that I have always been interested in this, I am just sad that it has taken me so long to finally get into classes! I had bought my own icing tips and bags years ago, and used to practice on all my homemade cakes, now I can't wait to learn the professional and proper way to do! I know this is something I am going to love to do, and I love doing crafts, painting, floral arraiging, you name it! Even if it is only part time, it will be something I can do at a shop to make some extra money, and do something I like! Thanks for the help! If anyone has any more suggestions or advice, keep it coming! Also, can you tell me the basics of the kit that a beginner should have, and what you found to be most helpful? Thanks so much!

Suzie383 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 7

Hey, thanks for advice! I don't know if I would want to own my own shop one day, my mom had her own business, and it is tought being your own boss, so I compliment anyone who does it! I think I would be more interested in the artistic side of just designing and decorating the cakes, and letting someone else deal with the headaches of insurance, health codes, employees, etc, etc... BUt, who knows what the future holds. I know that I have always been interested in this, I am just sad that it has taken me so long to finally get into classes! I had bought my own icing tips and bags years ago, and used to practice on all my homemade cakes, now I can't wait to learn the professional and proper way to do! I know this is something I am going to love to do, and I love doing crafts, painting, floral arraiging, you name it! Even if it is only part time, it will be something I can do at a shop to make some extra money, and do something I like! Thanks for the help! If anyone has any more suggestions or advice, keep it coming! Also, can you tell me the basics of the kit that a beginner should have, and what you found to be most helpful? Thanks so much!

jen2184 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 7

first and foremost congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of cake baking, its such an awesome experience to make a beautiful and see your finished business i started making cakes about 3 yrs ago and i am striving to open my own cake boutique, it isent easy but little by little you will start getting in the groove i actually took those wiltons classes way back and they were indeed pretty helpfull but all your other experience your going to gain on your own iwish you the best and once agan welcome to cake decorating. icon_biggrin.gif

kimberlina25 Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 2:10am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie383

I think I would be more interested in the artistic side of just designing and decorating the cakes, and letting someone else deal with the headaches of insurance, health codes, employees, etc, etc... BUt, who knows what the future holds. I know this is something I am going to love to do, and I love doing crafts, painting, floral arraiging, you name it! Even if it is only part time, it will be something I can do at a shop to make some extra money, and do something I like!

like everyone else- welcome! I admire your enthusiasm, but i too would suggest taking things one at a time. Its good that you want to learn the basics, take the class, see how you like it.

I would also like to say, when you work for someone else, you are not in charge of creativity. you may not be able to make the kind of cakes that you are envisioning (especially if you work for a grocery bakery) also, it may be more like an ensembly line, i believe that when you work for that kind of bakery you are required to churn out 4 or 5 cakes an hour, often times that are very plain and uninteresting. I do not say this to discourage, but to give you an idea of what it might be like.

I would suggest take the classes, make some cakes for family and friends, see how it goes. if you are getting interest, and you are still enjoying it, see what the home bakery laws are in your state. start out small is see where this takes you. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%