Black Cake?

Decorating By misterc Updated 4 Nov 2007 , 9:40pm by phoohbear

misterc Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 11

I have to do a cake in black today. I don't have time to order the fondant already black and I really don't want to color the fondant black(always tastes nasty due to the amount of coloring used). Can I use a spray like wilton mist or paint the cake with black powdered color mixed with alchol? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!!

10 replies
phoohbear Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 11

It is really hard to get a uniform color with the wilton spray or by painting with a brush. An airbrush is the best way to go but if you are doing a halloween type of cake for something that doesn't have to be perfect the wilton spray will work.

misterc Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 11

For the design I need it to be completely black. So I can't get that with the spray? I wish I had an airbrush, oh well. I have heard pros and cons to painting. I had hoped that might work as well, too bad. Thanks for you response.

DaCakeDiva Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 11

I hope it's not too late (still the 30th here) but you could try chocolatefondant and colour it with black icing colour. Use the darkest coco powder you can find and do the rest with colour.

melysa Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 11

if you are in a pinch, i agree, make chocolate fondant.

use a simple recipe for mmf, but add one ounce of melted chocolate and a little black coloring to the melted marshmallows. then add hersheys special dark dutch cocoa powder with the sugar. start with one tb and go from there. you'll want to work with plenty of shortening nearby as the chocolate will dry it out, but the results will be fine if you kneed it enough. cover it in plastic and let it rest for as long as you can before rolling it out.

oaklanraiderdude Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 11

I used the wilton spray with no problem. Just start out with a dark base (brown fondant) and use same techniques as you would for using spray paint on furniture, don't get to close and use long even strokes. You will need to go over it a few times to get even coloring. Just be patient and oh yeah be sure and cover all surfaces including floor with newspaper!! Use a paint mask (or a bandana) also cause that stuff gets everywhere.

ccr03 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 11

I'm going to vote for the chocolate fondant as well. I used it this weekend for a Halloween cake and I hardly used any black.

snowqueen93 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 11

I painted my guitar cake black and it turned out just fine. There were no lines. Just make sure you do it last or else you will end up with black EVERYWHERE. I used black gel and a little bit of vodka to paint. I painted a couple of layers. Good luck!

melysa Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 11

i also used chocolate fondant (choc satin ice w/ black mixed in) in a halloween cake this weekend.

i've painted black before but i dont care for that method if its going to be eaten because it will definately color mouths. however, if you do use this method, be aware that you'll need several coats of it and its wise to start with a dark base anyway. so- pretty much back to square one with having to mix color in or to use chocolate fondant.

misterc Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 11

Ok, I am going with the chocolate fondant. I really wanted to but premade for this cake but my local supplier doesn't carry chocolate fondant. I am making my fondant right now. Thank you for the advice!

phoohbear Posted 4 Nov 2007 , 9:40pm
post #11 of 11

I think the cake came out wonderfull and you ended up with a very good black color. Sorry to hear you had problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%