Fondant Monkey ?

Decorating By shivs Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 11:29pm by ceshell

shivs Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make a little fondant monkey. Ive seen many cute ones here, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a how to or a little tutorial. Ive searched but cant find one.

Shelly thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
becky27 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 7

i recently put a post out there with this same subject...not too many responses...anyway i did pm " ceshell " and she gave me a run down of how she made hers...perhaps you can pm her too!!! good luck!!!!!!

dellswife Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 7

Hmmm, wonder if she would mind if I PM'd her too.
I am worried about just winging it:p

ceshell Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 7

Hi there! I am totally happy to help. I'm going to post my answer to becky27 here in case it can help more than one person. Sorry if there is "too much information" - I tend to run off at the mouth sometimes icon_wink.gif.

Anyway here's what I said:

"Since it was only my own 3rd time using fondant (and 2nd time trying to make figures) I made a plan to keep it simple, you can prob see that all of the animals are based on simple ball shapes.

For the monkey I simply made a ball for his body and a ball for his head. Then I made another ball for his muzzle, and as you can see I flattened that one out into a muzzle shape - completely flat on the side that was going to attach to the head, and then just shaped a bit oblong to look right as a "face". If nothing has dried yet you can glue in place with water. I used some sort of random kitchen implement to poke a nose and mouth on.

Ears were simply balls flattened out completely - same goes for the stomach color. For the arms+legs I rolled up the brown fondant into a tube shape, and then rolled the light brown into a ball shape, poked a hole in it to fit over the leg/arm tubes, glued them to the legs/arms, and then rolled gently to fuse each together. Only then did I make "cuts" for the hands/feet - I think I used a toothpick but not the pointy part! Then you flatten the body-side ends of the arms/legs to give you a nice flat surface area for attaching to the body. I actually just used water to attach, however in retrospect I recommend using a bit of gummy, dissolved fondant as glue as it's stickier and dries more secure.

Since I used Wilton fondant for all of the animals (except the panda) the fondant was pretty firm and I didn't have to let it dry before assembling. However I definitely did the spaghetti trick for the head to help keep the head propped up while the glue between the head+body dried. Also if you check out the rear view you can see the monkey's butt (haha, sounds like an insult!) and how I did another color patch like on the stomach. I bored a hole into the butt before the fondant dried, and added a very short spaghetti stick, so that when I was ready to attach the tail it would fit "inside" the body and also have some support (spaghetti) while the glue dried.

For figures I've made since those animals, I now add gumtex to my fondant to make sure it's firm (mainly because I use mmf and you can see what happened to the panda when modeling with straight mmf - he never dried and his head just completely squished into his belly).

Have you seen Aine2's video for how to make an elephant? I think it would be a huge help. It's practically the same creature - round body, round head, tubular arms/legs which are flattened at the attaching point..etc. Let me know if you need the link. I didn't have that video when I made mine but it's mostly the same process and plus you a great visual for constructing an animal. She makes it look so easy it's not even funny! "

Good luck and I hope this helps!!

dellswife Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you Very much!
I would Love to see that video icon_biggrin.gif

becky27 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 7

thanks again rock!!!!

ceshell Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 7

You're most welcome!

By the way here's the link to Aine2's site (this link is from her CC signature line). If you scroll down and look on the right side under "Video How To's" there is one titled ""FREE" - How to make a miniature elephant"

Of course I recommend viewing them ALL - she is the one that truly rocks, there is nothing she can't do. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%