Fondant Monkey ?

Decorating By shivs Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 11:29pm by ceshell

shivs Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make a little fondant monkey. Ive seen many cute ones here, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a how to or a little tutorial. Ive searched but cant find one.

Thanks
Shelly thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
becky27 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 7

i recently put a post out there with this same subject...not too many responses...anyway i did pm " ceshell " and she gave me a run down of how she made hers...perhaps you can pm her too!!! good luck!!!!!!

dellswife Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 7

Hmmm, wonder if she would mind if I PM'd her too.
I am worried about just winging it:p

ceshell Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 7

Hi there! I am totally happy to help. I'm going to post my answer to becky27 here in case it can help more than one person. Sorry if there is "too much information" - I tend to run off at the mouth sometimes icon_wink.gif.

Anyway here's what I said:

"Since it was only my own 3rd time using fondant (and 2nd time trying to make figures) I made a plan to keep it simple, you can prob see that all of the animals are based on simple ball shapes.

For the monkey I simply made a ball for his body and a ball for his head. Then I made another ball for his muzzle, and as you can see I flattened that one out into a muzzle shape - completely flat on the side that was going to attach to the head, and then just shaped a bit oblong to look right as a "face". If nothing has dried yet you can glue in place with water. I used some sort of random kitchen implement to poke a nose and mouth on.

Ears were simply balls flattened out completely - same goes for the stomach color. For the arms+legs I rolled up the brown fondant into a tube shape, and then rolled the light brown into a ball shape, poked a hole in it to fit over the leg/arm tubes, glued them to the legs/arms, and then rolled gently to fuse each together. Only then did I make "cuts" for the hands/feet - I think I used a toothpick but not the pointy part! Then you flatten the body-side ends of the arms/legs to give you a nice flat surface area for attaching to the body. I actually just used water to attach, however in retrospect I recommend using a bit of gummy, dissolved fondant as glue as it's stickier and dries more secure.

Since I used Wilton fondant for all of the animals (except the panda) the fondant was pretty firm and I didn't have to let it dry before assembling. However I definitely did the spaghetti trick for the head to help keep the head propped up while the glue between the head+body dried. Also if you check out the rear view you can see the monkey's butt (haha, sounds like an insult!) and how I did another color patch like on the stomach. I bored a hole into the butt before the fondant dried, and added a very short spaghetti stick, so that when I was ready to attach the tail it would fit "inside" the body and also have some support (spaghetti) while the glue dried.

For figures I've made since those animals, I now add gumtex to my fondant to make sure it's firm (mainly because I use mmf and you can see what happened to the panda when modeling with straight mmf - he never dried and his head just completely squished into his belly).

Have you seen Aine2's video for how to make an elephant? I think it would be a huge help. It's practically the same creature - round body, round head, tubular arms/legs which are flattened at the attaching point..etc. Let me know if you need the link. I didn't have that video when I made mine but it's mostly the same process and plus you a great visual for constructing an animal. She makes it look so easy it's not even funny! "

Good luck and I hope this helps!!

dellswife Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you Very much!
I would Love to see that video icon_biggrin.gif

becky27 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 7

thanks again ceshell.....you rock!!!!

ceshell Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 7

You're most welcome!

By the way here's the link to Aine2's site http://extra-icing.blogspot.com/ (this link is from her CC signature line). If you scroll down and look on the right side under "Video How To's" there is one titled ""FREE" - How to make a miniature elephant"

Of course I recommend viewing them ALL - she is the one that truly rocks, there is nothing she can't do. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%