Pricing??

Business By rambem00 Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 7:54pm by justme50

rambem00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rambem00 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 12

So, I want to get started in selling cakes and just had a great opportunty to get my name out there. (I was volunteered to do cakes for my church's social!) So I did 4 sheet cakes 12*18, box mixes, buttercream icing and just basic designs. So how do you price things like that? I know my supplies were about 50. Baking and decorating (very skewed b/c I had my 7month old slowing me down and I was in the church's kitchen and didn't know where anything was and had to go searching the building for stuff!) took about 10 hours, maybe more. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

11 replies
mommy1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy1st Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 12

I'm guessing your cakes were 1/2 sheets from the size given. Here they sell for 27.99 buttercream iced. That is just with no filling and simple decorations. If you start really decorating the cakes fancy (drawings, fondant work, ect.) you have to price accordingly for the time spent. good luck icon_biggrin.gif

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 12

$27.99????

It's not worth me turning on my oven for that. I charge a MINIMUM of $45 for a 12x18.

darrahmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darrahmomof3 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 12

My 12x18 starts at $35. I live in a very rural area and no one has complained!! If you want to do this for a living you have to get your time out of the cakes. I under priced way to long and have decided if they want good cake with good design then they will be willing to pay more than the Walmart price! Just don't under price yourself, your time is worth money too!!!! Good luck.

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 12

Have you tried using one of the cake matrix documents here on CC? There is one that was designed for professionals (Alice's cake matrix) and one that is for hobbiests (Home&hobby cake matrix). Either of those will help you with your pricing, etc. All of the work has been done for you so all you have to do is tweek it a little to account for the prices you're paying, etc. and that's it (instructions come with the matrixes). HTH!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 12

A 12x18, when cut in standard 2x2x2 serving sizes, serves 54, so if you had 4 of these, you had cake for 200.

At my sheet cake price of $1.50/serving, that would be $300 worth of cake ($75 per sheet). I do BC only.

I don't compare my sheet pricing with grocery store pricing.

With the larger sheets like this, you have longer baking time, more cardboards are required to suppport the weight of the larger cake, they take up more space for delivery (and if you don't think space is money, then you just don't get it yet.... try delivering two 24x18's in a little Toyota hatchback vs having to have a cargo van or an SUV!), etc., so your basic overhead costs are higher to start with on these.

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 12

My standard half sheet is 12x16. For basic flavors and decorations (that means no filling, no fondant, no carving and no elaborate designs) I charge $35. But, those really are buttercream only and pretty plain jane cakes. I call them my Wal Mart cakes, only better. icon_lol.gif Yours are slightly larger, I'd probably go with $40 each.

With that style cake, I am competing with Wal Mart so if I want to sell them, I have to be competitive. My advice is to try and go higher end. Offer your customers what Wal Mart can't deliver and you can charge a whole lot more.

But, I do have customers who actually want the lower end style cake. I can make a profit at that price, they're super easy to do and so I make them when asked to.

diamondjacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:18pm
post #8 of 12

I just wanted to add this to my posting list icon_smile.gifI too am starting to find a retail location to get this stuff up and rolling !!! 40 - 75 sounds GREAT!

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:28pm
post #9 of 12

My 12 x 18 is $45.00, that's with a border and greeting (happy birthday, etc) and maybe a couple of roses or simple vine with a few drop flowers. For the cakes that are scored and buds on top for weddings, $50.00 These are starting prices. If it's a premium cake flavor I add $5.00. If they want an elaborate design or character, I start at $10 depending on what the design is that they want. Hope this helps. 9 x 13 $25, 11 x 15 $35, 12 x 18 $45 starting prices.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 12

My pricing for a general flavored 12x18 cake would be $1.25/serving x 54 servings = $67.50 per cake. Grand total for 4 cakes - $270.

If they wanted a specialty flavor for the cakes it is $1.50/serving x 54 servings = $81.00 per cake. Grand total for 4 cakes - $324.

That is without filling and just plain Jane decorations.

HTH!

rambem00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rambem00 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:25pm
post #11 of 12

Wow, you guys are awesome!! Thanks for your input. I did find the matrix and need some more time to figure it all out. I did learn that I need more support for these size cakes. I got them iced all nice and smooth and when they were moved from the church building to outside, they got all crackled. ( I was not the one who moved them ) and I learned that someone stacked one cake box on top of another! I was extremely upset at that. no one could really tell but I could!

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:54pm
post #12 of 12

Mine will crackle too if I don't use a heavy duty board or 2 cardboard sheets.

That's one of the reasons I always carry a supple of edible glitter flakes, it's amazing what that stuff will hide! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%