meme54 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 7

6 replies
mbelgard Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 7

I just used this one for gingerbread houses and it was good:

sweetreasures Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 7

I'm not a big fan of gingerbread until I realized I do eat gingerbread cake made from a box with lemon sauce once a year. I also have one for gingerbread cookies that I make once in awhile that I like. It is for making bear shapes by rolling into balls / logs so I don't know how it will be for rolling and cutting with cookie cutters - may need to add a bit more flour to work with it.

1 cup margarine or butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup molases or corn syrup I use corn syrup
4 cup flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp ground cloves
1 beaten egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

The bear shapes are baked at 325 degrees for 8 - 15 minutes depending on size so adjust your bake time accordingly. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet

melkneec Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 7

I have this really really old recipe. Not really good for houses but soooo good to eat!! I could eat the batch myself. lol. Hope this helps.

10 cups self-rising flour, sifted
3 tsp of ginger
1 tsp of allspice
4 cups of granulated sugar
1 ½ cups brown sugar, packed
1 cup of Wesson oil
1 ½ cups of buttermilk
1 cup of molasses
5 large eggs, whole

In a large mixing bowl, blend the flour, ginger, allspice, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Pour in Wesson oil, buttermilk and molasses. Add eggs. Blend well with a large spoon or with hands. Batter should be very thick. Pour 1/3 of batter at a time (so it will be easy to work with) onto a well-floured surface. Knead slightly. Donât over knead. Pinch off small amounts of batter as if making biscuits. Roll slightly in flour. Place onto a large prebuttered cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated oven at 325* to 375* (depending on temperature of oven). Bake about 11-15 minutes depending on size of cakes. Makes approximately 60 small cakes.

Gingerbread Glaze

1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp allspice, 1 ½ cups brown sugar, ½ cup water

Blend all ingredients. Cook over medium heat to make a light to medium syrup. Brush on top of cooled gingerbread cakes.

PiggyPoo Posted 5 Nov 2007 , 2:32am
post #5 of 7

So, are those like a little cake/cookie? They sound absolutely wonderful. That's a huge recipe. Do you know if they would freeze well??

Thanks in advance,
PiggyPoo :0)

melkneec Posted 5 Nov 2007 , 2:44am
post #6 of 7

oohhhh. icon_smile.gif I bet you could freeze the little cakes just like regular cake. icon_smile.gif That is a good idea. I will have to try it. That would make our Christmas basket much easier if I could start now. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the idea thumbs_up.gif

cwcopeland Posted 5 Nov 2007 , 2:58am
post #7 of 7

That recipe sounds great. I've never been a fan of Gingerbread cookies, but these sound great. I'm going to try them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%