3-Tier Stacking ?

Decorating By SScakes Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 11:49am by Danielle111

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 9:22am
post #1 of 3

Hi

I have a 3 tier wedding cake to deliver and I am not sure where to do the set-up and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light.

The bottom tier (12inch) is a fruit cake. It's fairly heavy. the 2 top tiers are sponge cake.

Here's the questions I have
1. Should I stack at home or at the venue? I'm worried about the weight of the stacked cake.
2. How thick board do you use for cakes?

Thanks in advance

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 11:35am
post #2 of 3

I delivered two drop-n-run's this past weekend. Both of them were 4 tier. On both, I pre-stacked the bottom two tiers and the top two tiers, then transported. The bottom two tiers were VERY heavy! So if you have a heavy cake plus a heavy board, I'd assemble at the site.

Danielle111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle111 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 11:49am
post #3 of 3

I agree - If your cake is very heavy, you can assemble part of it at home, and then the rest at the site. The weight of the finished cake will determine how thick your presentation board should be. If it will be on a plataeu, you can probably get away with a thinner board.
I had to deliver a roasted pig cake for 170 people fully assembled, so I used 1/2" plywood, covered in contact paper, covered in fondant (plus I got my hubby to carry it!) icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%