Black Fondant Roll Out

Decorating By cocobean Updated 3 Jun 2014 , 9:54am by Rositta

cocobean Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 6:22am
post #1 of 12

How to you roll out black fondant. You cant' use powdered sugar, right? Help! I'm right in the middle of things. icon_confused.gif

11 replies
JoAnnB Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 6:28am
post #2 of 12

It works best to roll it out on a lightly greased mat or plastic fabric.

cocobean Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 6:57am
post #3 of 12

Thanks, I just tried it but its not working for me. Its not acting at all like the fondant I roll out with powdered sugar. My smoother is sticking to it. Any more sugestions? icon_cry.gif

neni Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:15am
post #4 of 12

I use powdered sugar with black fondant. I try not to touch the top until it is rolled out to the size I need. If any powdered sugar gets on it I use a damp brush and brush it all over the fondant to get the sugar spots off.

jenscreativity Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:09am
post #5 of 12

You can roll out the fondant on a greased mat, then ONLY put sugar on roller to roll out. THEN once you roll out to your thickness and all, then FLIP the fondant over, ONTO cake so that side has NO powdered sugar on it. Get it? Try it, It works!!

Jenscreativity icon_biggrin.gif

jenscreativity Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:10am
post #6 of 12

ALSO, forgot! Make sure your powdered sugar is SIFTED! It will make it easier to wash off, vs the clumpy sugar..I used to just use it right from the bag, but what a difference since I sifted it!

Jenscreativity

Tomoore Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:27am
post #7 of 12

I had great success rolling out black fondant a few days ago when I DIDN'T uses any powdered sugar (for the very first time). I kneaded in SMALL amounts of shortening until it was smooth and not sticky. I then lightly greased my counter and my rolling pin an ending up with very smooth, jet black fondant. Previously, I'd use the powdered sugar and then go over it with a wet paintbrush once it was on t he cake.

Lazy_Susan Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:50am
post #8 of 12

I always roll out my fondant on a vinyl table cover without using powdered sugar, corn starch or grease. It doesn't stick to the vinyl at all.

Lazy_Susan

Metabea Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:57am
post #9 of 12

Have you tried Hershey powder? I've not tried that myself but seems like it might work... just a thought icon_smile.gif

lchristi27 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 9:43am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Susan

I always roll out my fondant on a vinyl table cover without using powdered sugar, corn starch or grease. It doesn't stick to the vinyl at all.

Lazy_Susan

Me too! The vinyl never sticks to the fondant, works perfectly.

Daisy1 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:06pm
post #11 of 12

If you have an airbrush, you can roll it out with powdered sugar, then airbrush it lightly with an alcohol and that will take off the white marks.

Rositta Posted 3 Jun 2014 , 9:54am
post #12 of 12

Seems perfect, but how do you stop the black fondant sticking to your rolling pin.?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%