I Quit!!!

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 2:59pm by mommabuda

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:32am
post #1 of 14

So I've been working at a grocery store in town for the last month as their ONLY cake decorator in 5 years... they've been promising me that they were going to start advertising my cakes on the radio, in the paper, etc.... well, nothing yet and I haven't had ONE order. I've been working an average of 8 hours a week... the pay is great but barely any hours... there's no way we can make it!!! Besides this, I have to deal with the customers complaining about the bakery (breads, donuts... NONE of which I have anything to do with nor know anything about!) I've been doing my own advertising and I've had 3 people come in the stores looking for my cakes and they couldn't even FIND them!!! Friday I went in and gave my 2 weeks notice... I'm sick of it. Grocery store cakes SUCK! My hands are killing me after doing 5 3D cakes (character pans like the race car, shirt pan, football, etc.) My hands were still shaking 2 hours after I got home... I'm just going to keep doing cakes at home when I have a chance and start my home daycare... cakes are great and fun to do but definetely not something I want to be doing full time... my nights will be used up and so will my weekends (weddings)... I want to be with my family during that time... I've never quit a job, I feel like such a loser and tomorrow is the first day I have to go in since I told them I was quitting... ugh... can't wait till it's over... (oh yeah, and this week I'm only working 4 hours since I have their freezer full...) LAME!!!

13 replies
countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:38am
post #2 of 14

thumbsdown.gif A major red flag when you are the ONLY DECORATOR IN *5* YEARS?! thumbsdown.gif
Bakery business is time consuming....and it's good that you seen early on what you do and do not want to do........they should have their rears kicked! 8 hours a week?! That is a joke.......
I don't blame you one bit......may your daycare work successfully! thumbs_up.gif Best wishes! thumbs_up.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:40am
post #3 of 14

Goodbye and good riddance, I say! They don't deserve you.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:45am
post #4 of 14

So glad that you quit after reading what you posted. No one needs to put up with that.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:49am
post #5 of 14

you did 5 shaped pans for the grocery store? star fill-in? my hands would be killing me too!

I prefer doing my cakes at home. Even though a place seems needy and ready to make changes to get you to work there, most of them are just talkin' smack to get you in there to do the job. Once you're there, you get the ...."and you are who?" type attitude.

Home daycare? I would advise you to invest in a good wig. That way you don't pull your own hair out.

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:56am
post #6 of 14

your talent was wasted there! you will feel better once your 2 weeks notice is done!

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:03am
post #7 of 14

why int he world would you feel like a loser? That's CRAZY!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 11:42am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodthi32

why int he world would you feel like a loser? That's CRAZY!

Agree!! You are not a quitter! You are making a decision on how to run your life rather than your life running you.

Sometimes quitting/stopping something IS the smart thing to do and not the negative thing that many people try to make us feel it is.

I sold life insurance for a short time (don't ask!). I was doing great and was making about $50K a year. But I left my house when my duaghter got off the school bus. I didn't get home until close to midnight. I sat up until 2:00 a.m. doing paperwork. I never got a day off. I never could attend family events. I never saw my own family.

I walked in one day and just sat all of my stuff down on their desk and said, "I quit. I can't do this anymore." They tried to talk me out of it. I said, "My husband doesn't even make enough money each month to cover our house payment. THAT'S how important this is to me."

We knew that I had made this decision for the right reason. God walked witih me and I found a full time job with FREE health care benefits within the next 10 days.

I am always preaching that family comes first .... you can't put your children on a shelf. With $50K a year staring me in the face, I put my money where my mouth was and made a decision that was best for my family, not one that was best for my budget.

God walked with me and we were fine.

If something is a negative in your life ....... QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:03pm
post #9 of 14

This is the only thing you ever need!
God walked with me and we were fine.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:31pm
post #10 of 14

I quit my WMI job. I felt guilty about it, but I realized I was getting the short end of the stick where I was working. I hate being a quitter, but that is no reason to stick around when you arent happy.

MistyRomack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistyRomack Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:44pm
post #11 of 14

thumbs_up.gif Good job, things will be looking up. My plight....I've been in the automtive business for over 16 yrs and got laid off, and I do cakes as a hobby and LOVE it, so I have been looking into cake decorating as a profession. I interviewed with a MAJOR grocery store that does HUGE volume in my side of town, and they wanted me to work out of my children's schedule, and sometimes on weekends come in at 3 a.m. when graduation and such comes around.

MAJOR DILEMA there! I will not put my kids on the shelf when it comes to my time with them. The manager who interviewed me was so negative about the position that I wouldn't want to work with her or for her anyway, it is just not worth it, upbeat and positive. I don't mind the mundane when it comes to cake decorating but geez oh pete, do not let it burn you out, and now that I've read your post, I believe that a private bakery is more my style, starting my own, or working for an independent, not a chain grocery store.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:56pm
post #12 of 14

I know this is off topic but go to the thread about your Avatar and tell us about it.

jibbies

Memie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Memie Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:55pm
post #13 of 14

Good for you! Life is too short to stay at a job where you are not happy.
You shouldn't feel like a quitter or feel bad about your decision.

I quit my job of 12 years with a law firm 6 years ago. It had gotten to the point that I was in tears every day. I could never make plans because I never knew when I would get off. Something would always come up. I had tried to quit several times, but was always offered more money to stay. After 9/11, I just couldn't do it anymore. I couldn't help wondering how many of those killed were at jobs they hated.

Fortunately, my husband makes a good salary so now I'm a SAHGM, I get to spend lots of time with my grandson and I get to be active at his school, something I didn't get to do with my own kids. It was the best decision I ever made. I have time to do everything I want to do. icon_biggrin.gif

You have to do what's best for you and your family. Be happy. thumbs_up.gif

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:59pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

I know this is off topic but go to the thread about your Avatar and tell us about it.

jibbies

What thread is this?

The grocery store was actually more like a family market and locally owned... not a chain... this is why they were going to allow me to do wedding cakes out of their kitchen and I would get 25% plus my hourly pay for them... they were going to put me in a bridal show in January but who knows when they were going to sign me up for that... they seemed to be full of "talk"... they said how they were going to do so much advertising, even put me on the radio but they never did... when I told her I was putting my 2 weeks in she said "well good thing we didn't register for that bridal show yet"... i said "i kinda figured you didn't do that yet either..." they hired me based on my portfolio of what i've done... well, if they think I was going to recreate jack sparrow for their grocery store, they're crazy!!! and i'm sorry but sheet cakes do get sooo boring... i'm out of ideas already... they shared the bakery with the deli so there was NO room whatsoever... when I needed cardboards, boxes or pans I had to go in the back of the store and climb up shelves to get the giant totes down... lucky I didn't fall doing that!!! they bought a new oven too and couldn't fit it through the bakery door because they didn't measure first! ugh!!! well, i'm off to work now, blah... i'll probably be there about 3-4 hours if i'm lucky and then that'll be it for this week...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%