For Those Of You Who Have Been To A Collette Petter's Class

Decorating By paolacaracas Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 7:49pm by BakingGirl

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:28am
post #1 of 10

I would like to attend Collettet's Class at The Notter School in Orlando, I think it will be a great experience and I'd love to meet her.
But I'm afraid the Class would be to basic for me, I've been doing cakes for 15 years and there is very little in sugar paste I can't figure out how to do by my self at this point.
It's not that I don't feel there's anything new for me to learn, I learn something new Here at CC every day, but maybe it would be better for me to take a chocolate class with a top chocolate instructor, after all, with ticket faire, hotel and tuition it will be more than $1500, plus at least one week out of work, Is all worth it but I'd like to make the best choice.
Please take a look of my photos and tell me if Collette class is for me.
Thank you

9 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 6:28am
post #2 of 10

Colette is a wonderful person and a great decorator, but I don't think this particular class will offer you much benefit.

Spend the money taking a class where you can learn the basics of something new.

Just my opinon.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 11:49am
post #3 of 10

Thank you JoAnn, I was hoping I did, but, kind of feel like it will not be of much help to me

CakeliciousCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeliciousCreations Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 10

Oh wow.. how I would love to attend Collette Peters class... does anyone have any information on how to go about getting signed up for this class. I am fairly new to cake decorating.. and everything I have learned I have taught myself by trial and error, many many books, and by help from many on this site.. I would love to have some formal training. Is there anyone or anywhere else that you could recommend for formal training.. I am not interested in the Wilton classes. I have taught myself almost everything they cover in those classes... but to learn under a legend like Collette.. what a privilege.. thanks for any input...

CakeliciousCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeliciousCreations Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 10

Oh wow.. how I would love to attend Collette Peters class... does anyone have any information on how to go about getting signed up for this class. I am fairly new to cake decorating.. and everything I have learned I have taught myself by trial and error, many many books, and by help from many on this site.. I would love to have some formal training. Is there anyone or anywhere else that you could recommend for formal training.. I am not interested in the Wilton classes. I have taught myself almost everything they cover in those classes... but to learn under a legend like Collette.. what a privilege.. thanks for any input...

sweetsbycheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbycheryl Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 10

I took a Colette Peters one day class at the Mid-Atlantic cake show last year and she was an absolute joy to work with!! She is so friendly and outgoing, and I learned a really cool new technique in that class (overlays). However, I have only been doing this for two years, so I am still in the learning stages myself. IMHO, if you have been doing this for 15 years (and your work is great, BTW), I don't think you would get the most from your learning dollars from a class like that. Enjoy the chocolate class and learning something new!! Have fun!

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 10

I took a Collette Peter's class in March. I just started decorating in February and have taught myself everything so far. Although I enjoyed meeting her and working with her, I didn't find it very helpful. Personally, I don't think I would take it if I were you unless you are just interested in meeting her!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:38pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeliciousCreations

Try this link and go to the February schedule where it lists her class:

http://www.notterschool.com/continuing.html

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 10

I went to her basic class last October at Notter's. While it was a wonderful experience for me, a newbie, your work is already way beyond that level thumbs_up.gif . She does offer an advanced class. She has some amazing tips and tricks to share, so if you really want to work with her, check out the advanced class rather than the basic class. It is the same price as the basic and is also 4 days - or was last year.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:49pm
post #10 of 10

I did her class at the Notter School last October, then I did the advanced class in May. I really enjoyed the classes, but out of the two I probably enjoyed the first class more. I think we went through more techniques in the first class, the second class was more about carving and doing topsy turvy so did not learn that much new. I went as a newbie so of course I learned tons but other people in class had been doing cakes for years and learned plenty from her. I think it is more about seeing how other people do things. She just has a lot of good tips and tricks up her sleeve, and you can ask her anything. She is also good to ask questions regarding the business side of doing cakes.

I recently also did the Master Course at Wilton in Illinois. It is a very different type of class, you learn all aspects of piping, borders and flowers. Since that was something I would never be able to teach myself from a book I found the class invaluable. Also it is not too expensive when you compare it to classes by "cake celebrities". If you want more info on either just send me a PM.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%