Help With Royal Icing Tiara!

Decorating By firstof9 Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 1:13pm by firstof9

firstof9 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 4

I am new to cake decorating and made my first royal icing tiara the other day. Everything went well until it came time to remove it from the container. It ended up breaking into a bunch of tiny pieces, beyond repair. I would like to try this again but was wondering if I could get some suggestions before taking my second attempt at the tiara. If I recall correctly I let if dry for about 15 hours. I would greatly appreciate any pointers. Thanks!

3 replies
DianeLM Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:19am
post #2 of 4

I'm so sorry your first tiara didn't work out. Royal icing is very fragile and not flexible at all.

First, make sure you are creating your tiara on a container that does NOT flare out at the bottom, because you'll be sliding your tiara down off the container (or up, if necessary). You cannot 'pull' your tiara off or slide it over any obstacles, or it will break. I use a wine bottle.

I don't know which instructions you are using, but whatever you do, you should be piping onto plastic cling wrap (Saran) and not wax paper. Royal icing releases much more easily from plastic wrap.

Finally, make sure your tiara is relatively thick. Now that you know how fragile it is, you can see where you may need to reinforce your next one. I never use anything smaller than tip 2 and I always go over it twice.

Hope this helps! Good luck. (BTW, I've made many royal tiaras, so I speak from lots of experience. icon_biggrin.gif )

firstof9 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much for responding! You helped me figure out my mistake because I was piping onto wax paper and that is where I got into trouble. The tiara just would not come off the wax paper. Well thanks again! Hopefully my second try will be more successful. icon_biggrin.gif

firstof9 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for responding! You helped me figure out my mistake because I was piping onto wax paper and that is where I got into trouble. The tiara just would not come off the wax paper. Well thanks again! Hopefully my second try will be more successful. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%