Scary Breast Cancer Stuff

Lounge By cinderspritzer Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 12:57pm by DebbyTCL

cinderspritzer Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 4

My mom's grandmother died of breast cancer. One of my mom's sisters (she has 3 sisters) was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 21 (extremely young) and died from it at 29. Another sister was diagnosed 2 weeks ago.

My mom was diagnosed this week.

Now, I'll add the side note that I know everyone's going to say they're sorry to hear that and stuff, and I appreciate it, I do. But I'm not sad about my mom or my aunt getting it, as my mother and that entire side of the family hate me and disowned me a couple years ago. So it's ok, awkward, but ok.

But what really bugs me, is that of the 9 cousins I have on that side of the family, all 8 of us female have a 90% risk of being diagnosed. And that SCARES ME TO DEATH.

And of all the times I wish I could talk to my mom, it's now, even though we hate each other.

3 replies
mkerton Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 4

I would just make sure you keep up on yearly exams and do your self exams religiously...

as for the issues with your family......I am truly sorry for that. Not having a relationship with them must be awful.....I cannot imagine anything my child could do to make me disown him.

thecupcakemom Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 4

I'm sorry for your troubles. But, what a great reason to reach out to your mom and speak to her to help break the ice?

DebbyTCL Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 4

Hate is very heavy on the heart. Let it go and call your Mom!

No matter what she says, even if it's hateful, let her know that: you care, you can help, you can drive her for surgeries, treatments, appt's, bring her food, cake!, clean the house, cut the grass, etc.

She may turn you down flat, but say it anyway. And then keep saying it, keep calling every so often to check on her and ask if she needs anything. No matter what, she is your Mom and you are her child.

There may be an issue right now that is between you, and it doesn't matter who is right and who is wrong!, but take the step to heal the issue. Be there for her.

And if the "family" has ugly things to say, IGNORE THEM! You will know that what you are doing is right!

Because you know, deep down in your heart, you love her and she loves you. You may not like each other right now, but you still love her, or you wouldn't be concerned & want to talk with her.

This may be the thing that makes your Mom put whatever issue there is between you, behind her! You showing that you do love her and are there for her.

Set the example on how to behave...for all of them.

Now, as far as your health is concerned. Don't be scared. Take this as knowledge and a warning that there is potential for this to happen. I was 27 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I have been fighting it for the last 18 years. This past Saturday, I finally reached my 1 year anniversary of being cancer free. Be diligent in your self exams, yearly check ups, and let your Dr. know your family history. There are more tests than just the mammogram to check the breast tissue! With your family history, you will qualify for these tests! Do it. Be assertive, not passive, with this!

Let me know how things go....

Quote by @%username% on %date%