Crisis- Help- Cant Roll Out Fondant- It Sticks To Everything

Decorating By Auryn Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 12:02am by BlakesCakes

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 6

so my whole cake ordeal today was going pretty smoothly

but now im having major issues with the fondant.
I made a batch of toba's 2 days ago and it came out great.
This afternoon I set out to roll it out to cover my cakes and it sticks to everything.
Vinyl cutting board covered in cs - it sticks
clean glass table covered in cs- it sticks
clean glass table covered in cs w/ wax paper on it which is also covered in cs- it sticks

im at my wits end
seriously im about to dump the whole damn thing in the trash cause im so frustrated

someone please help

5 replies
jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 6

Try putting a thin coat of shortening on your vinyl mat instead of confectioners sugar. You might also need to knead more ps into the fondant. HTH

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 6

I've never made Toba's fondant, but if it's that sticky when rolling it out in powdered sugar, then maybe it needs more kneaded into it?
I generally roll fondant out on a light coat of Crisco. Maybe that will help?

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 6

The best way to roll fondant is on a mat. If you have a craft or fabric store (or even Walmart) nearby, get a yard or two of clear plastic 'fabric'

When you roll the fondant out, you can use the plastic to flip it over onto the cake, then pull away the fabric.

good luck.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 6

the fondant is chock full of ps- ive been kneading it in for the last 2 hrs- it feels dry in my hands but the minute i start rolling- it sticks

ill try the shortening- itll be a b&%$# to clean the table afterwards but im willing to try
thanks

I have silicone candy making mats- will those work>?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:02am
post #6 of 6

I roll fondant on a vinyl or silicone mat with a skim of crisco (vegetable shortening) smeared on it.

Silicone candy mats should work just fine, too. It's really the crisco that makes the most difference.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%