Do You Know Marie??from Everybody Loves Raymond?

Decorating By jehu Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 6:22am by Ursula40

jehu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jehu Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 10

Well, I have a relative just like her that will be here for Thanksgiving. Needless to say, I am looking for an idea that will impress her!! I am just finishing up the Wilton 3rd course and start course 4 next week. I would like to do something with basketweave...Maybe with fondant scarecrows and pumpkins on top?? I have never tried sculpting from fondant before...What do you think??

9 replies
paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 10

I think the main thing about this type is that no matter what you do they are NEVER impressed, so my advice to you is to do what YOU like and enjoy and don't put your hopes on her.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 10

Especially if she's like Marie! icon_lol.gif

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 10

You have my sincerest sympathies--My MIL is just like Marie on that show, and drives me crazy. (Yes, she has even alterred recipes, just so my attempt will not taste like hers.) icon_confused.gif

That off my chest, I think something w/ basketweave and fondant figures would be great. You could practice the figurines and have them done early. (That would also give you more control, so that they either look perfect, or you have time to come up w/ Plan B if you don't like them.) And basketweave always seems to impress people.

(There is hope--My MIL actually liked her birthday cake this past year. I remembered she loved daisies, and made her a cake covered with daisies.)

Good luck--and post pictures! thumbs_up.gif

judylynnturner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judylynnturner Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 10

I am still doing the happy dance because my MIL will be going to California for Thanksgiving. This will be the first holiday DH and I haven't had to argue about who is going where! icon_lol.gif

If your family is like my DH's nothing I do makes them happy and they throw away my food, so I quit taking anything at the last two get-togethers and I sat and grumbled and whined the whole time about the food. I figure since that is what they do about my food, I am just paying them back. I know that is not a good example to be setting, but I have only had the nerve to do this twice in 2 years and they have all gotten the hint that I don't have to like their food since they automatically throw away anything I make for family functions.

At the last event, I had one of DH's nephews ask me where the cake was because I do such yummy cakes. I told him there wasn't any from me and that I was sure someone bought something yucky from the store. He was so mad he went and asked why everyone had to be so mean that I wouldn't bring a cake! No one said a word and I loved it! Granted, DH is 49 so his nephew is closer to my age. I am too old for childish games, but I sure had fun grumbling about the burnt/frozen cake with runny icing and picking out all the flaws. BTW, that nephew has already asked if for Christmas I would give him a cake or cookies or a pie--anything so long as I bake it and he is the only one that gets a baked goodie!

Here's to hoping your holiday dinner goes off without a hitch and everyone loves your food! thumbs_up.gif

jehu Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks everyone.
I think I will stick to the basketweave idea for now. It's what I would do whether she were here or not. I am just so fed up with the criticism and snarky remarks disguised as compliments. I want something so lovely she is stumped!! icon_evil.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehu

I want something so lovely she is stumped!! icon_evil.gif

Just remember to have fun with it! When we encounter people like this, my sister, daughter and I like to sit around and PREDICT what kind of snarky comments will be made. Then when the person actually says them, it's like "Wooo-whooo! we win the game!!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

So I predict that even if you stump her, she'll come up with something like, "It's pretty good for a home-baked cake" or "It's a nice cake, if that's the kind of thing you like to do" or "Oh how lovely! You can barely tell how crooked the basket effects are!"

Let me know how I place in the "Let's Play Prediction!" game!! icon_lol.gif

jehu Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 10

Oh my Debi!! You sound as if you have met her before!!! Those are the exact types of comments she makes! I have heard all about how my 3 year old and 1 year old must be so independent for me to have this time to dedicate to my little hobby!!
My husband and I play a game like your prediction game too, although ours involves alcohol!! icon_evil.gif

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:28am
post #9 of 10

I vote for "That is nice dear, none for me. I'm on a diet."

mommachris

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 6:22am
post #10 of 10

Mommachris, you know that's not right, that's my FiL. When he comes to visit us, or in the past, they can't travel aymore, at least not so far, the second he got off the plane, he was on a diet, mind you, the second AFTER, not before. So airplane food was ok with him, just not mine. Funny though, when I invite for dinner, evreyone comes AND stay for seconds
MiL just grinned, lay back, came for seconds and just enjoyed not having to cook and no dishes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%