What Would You Charge A Friend?

Decorating By Sweettooth1120 Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 1:06am by leily

Sweettooth1120 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 14

A friend asked me to make her 25th bday cake. Chocolate cake, chocolate mousse filling, choc bc frosting. Choc accents- can you tell she loves chocolate. She wants it to serve about 100.

My thought was to do 8, 10 & 12 round stacked. (And I am throwing in a choc martini glass as gift, if I figure out how to make one.)

What would you charge a friend for this?

13 replies
jmt1714 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 14

depends - I might make it as her gift. Typically I either charge full price or not at all

GenGen Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 14

well one lady i do cakes for often i just give her a "bill" for cost of materials and she sells homeinterior stuff- she gives me candles in exchange. she used to offer me $ but i prefered the candles- didn't have to buy them that way lol.

Sweettooth1120 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 14

Yeah I thought about that but it seemed like a big cake to give as a gift. She a friend but not a close friend. If that makes sense.

moodswinger Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 14

My friend's order from me, because of my talent, and the taste of the cake... I usually give them a 10.00 discount. They are pleasently surprised and thankful! Don't sell yourself short! You need to charge per serving, and if you're feeling generous, take a discount off. I charge 2.00 per serving for my specialty cakes. So, the price for me would be 200.00, and I would give a 20.00 discount to a friend! HTH!

justme50 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 14

If it's not a close friend and I don't have some sort of reciprocal agreement (she does things for me at a discount), I charge full price.

My really close friends won't let me discount...lol

GenGen Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 14

ah understandable KS, a slight discount as mentioned already sounds feesable to me.

Chef_Stef Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 14

Hmm, for my good friends, and if I'm not busy otherwise, I charge basically cost for smaller cakes, but I do tell them the Full Actual Anyone Else Price and make them swear not to tell what they paid. For larger cakes, I might do that as well, but I haven't done one in ages.

For an acquaintance who is not a *good* friend, I quote them my Full Actual Anyone Else Price and tell them they might want to order somewhere more affordable, lol. Then if they want to order, it's their choice to pay full price, but they get a delicious cake.

ccr03 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 14

I agree with moodswinger. The only free cakes I do are for family - immediate family. For friends, I'll still figure a per servings price and then take a discount off the total or if I have to buy something extra (toy cake toppers), I won't charge for the toys.

MandysCakeandCandy Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:15pm
post #10 of 14

A cake for that meny people cost a lot to make. for family and friends I charge 1.00 ps I know this is not a lt but it pays for the cake plus some or charge half of what you would charge.

Sweettooth1120 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:25pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you for all of your advice. I guess I am still so new to charging people that I hate to feel like I am overcharging.

She has not decided on the type of cake she wants, the only stiuplation is the chocolate , chocolate, chocolate.

Thanks

Sweettooth1120 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:25pm
post #12 of 14

Thank you for all of your advice. I guess I am still so new to charging people that I hate to feel like I am overcharging.

She has not decided on the type of cake she wants, the only stiuplation is the chocolate , chocolate, chocolate. The 3 tiers is my idea,

Thanks

MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:30pm
post #13 of 14

I give my friends & family 10% discount, and that's all, unless I make it my gift. I can only do a certain number of cakes per week, so if I'm going to have to turn down making fully paid cakes because I'm doing a cake for them, then I'm not going to be too out of pocket!

leily Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:06am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

I give my friends & family 10% discount, and that's all, unless I make it my gift. I can only do a certain number of cakes per week, so if I'm going to have to turn down making fully paid cakes because I'm doing a cake for them, then I'm not going to be too out of pocket!

Same here 10% discount across the board. If I decide later to give a portion or all of it as my gift then that is my decision. But I ALWAYS show all of these discounts/gifts on an invoice so they know what it cost.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%