Pumpkin Shaped Cake Using Bundt Pans...question

Decorating By Karate Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 11:14pm by ceshell

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 7

I am going to try this, but wanted to know if I should use dowels to keep the two bundt cakes together? I will be bringing it to work.

so you put filling in between the two?

I will most likely use crusting cream cheese icing, as I dont think I am good enough to use fondant, if this makes a difference.

Thanks much everyone.

6 replies
sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 7

There's a post here somewhere that someone used some of those ice cream cones that have a flat bottom -- one standing up as it had ice cream in it, and another upside down and decorated the cone hanging out as a stem.

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 7

I made the pumpkin cake this weekend, I torted each cake 3X and made a hazelnut, glaze,syrup between layers, very thin...
I put cake batter in the heating core and made the stem with that.
When I stacked it, I put a good base coat of icing, and then another one on top, a crusting type, so that I could form the grooves with my hand.
I iced the stem, and then put it in the freezer until hard and then just placed it on top in the center.
I didn't dowel or place straws in, if my filling was thicker maybe, but I had to deliver it and live in an area, that has very windy roads. It was just fine.
LL

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you both I appreciate the answers!

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 7

I made it this weekend for the church hayride and hot dog roast... I just used a good crusting buttercream to ice the outside and in between the two cakes and decorated. I used the mini bear pan to make a black cat that filled in the hole... I did use the "extended" cake recipe with a devil's food cake mix. It made it dense and held up great. The chocolate cake with the orange icing looked great. icon_smile.gif Everyone loved it.

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 7

How many servings did you guys get from this cake?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 7

Considering how heavy the two cakes are (meaning, a single bundt cake is basically as tall as a normal two-layer cake), it can't hurt to dowel to keep them together. I actually used a cake board between my two bundt cakes, made it much easier to serve because I could separate the cakes (I actually did this because I baked two different flavors). I did not use filling between the two cakes since basically it was like a two-tiered cake; however I did torte and fill each of the bundt cakes individually.

My pumpkin cake traveled 65 miles with no issues and yes it was doweled. I used the crusting cream cheese recipe from here. I highly recommend it! It's very easy to smooth.

I can't answer the servings question, I don't remember. But I'd guess a single torted bundt serves...16? So double that... Are there serving charts for bundt cakes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%