Rolling Mmf

Decorating By jouj Updated 31 Oct 2007 , 7:24am by jouj

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 10

Hi, I usually sprinkle some corn flour on the surface where I want to roll my MMF. My problem is that the corn flour is "staining" the MMF. I've tried to remove it in many ways but it's only getting worse.
A few months ago someone posted a topic about how to remove the corn flour from MMF. I totally forgot her advice, and I can't find it anymore.
Can someone please help?!??!
Thanks a lot. icon_cry.gif

9 replies
katgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katgal Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 10

I always use powdered sugar. You can just lightly dust it off with your hands, and you'd never know it was there. Always works for me!

icon_biggrin.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 10

My mmf does'nt stick to my counter but I put a little bit of crisco on it before I roll it out.

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 10

i use powdered sugar to roll out my mmf. but you can try to brush it with lemon extract.

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 10

I've seen where people put vodka in their airbrushes to clean off powdered sugar/corn flour. I don't have an airbrush yet, so I can't say from personal experience that it works, but it always works on TV!

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 10

also, i meant to add, i use a big plastic mat from the craft section in walmart, to roll out my fondant. one of my friends bought it for me. i use crisco to knead it real good, then powdered sugar. hth!

jouj Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for all your answers. It seems all of you use powdered sugar on the rolling surface. I've tried it many times, but the MMF keeps on absorbing the sugar and ends up stuck to the surface!!!
Denae: Is the plastic mat you use, the Wilton's Roll and Cut mat or something similar??
Thanks again.

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:24am
post #8 of 10

I use the fun with Fondant mat by Wilton, I think it's great. I use powdered sugar to roll it out, don't have much of a problem with sticking, as long as you keep it moving, if it starts to get stuck on a move, you can find out fast and add more sugar so it doesn't get completely stuck and ruined.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:57am
post #9 of 10

If you roll it out with a little bit of Crisco on the pin and rolling board you don't have that problem.

jouj Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 7:24am
post #10 of 10

Thanks a lot for your answers again.
I tried to do it with powdered sugar, it was far better than the corn flour, but it still showed on the fondant!! I tried brushing it with a dry brush, but traces were still showing. As for using shortening, it makes the fondant so shiny, and most of the time I need it to be normal.
krazykat_14: I bought the Fun with Fondant mat yesterday, but still didn't use it. Can you roll the fondant on it, and just flip it on the cake to ensure that the fondant doesn't get distorted while being transproted to the cake?
Thanks again for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%