Help!!! Nicholas Lodge's Gumpaste ?'s

Decorating By yummy Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 12:32am by CakesByLJ

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 8

I thought I copied the recipe and now I can't find it; can someone please post the recipe? How soon can I use it? I need to make letters out of it and need it to be dry by tomorrow (Tuesday) at about 6:00-6:30 p.m. and I haven't even made it yet.

7 replies
CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

I thought I copied the recipe and now I can't find it; can someone please post the recipe? How soon can I use it? I need to make letters out of it and need it to be dry by tomorrow (Tuesday) at about 6:00-6:30 p.m. and I haven't even made it yet.

Go to his website...... It's posted there...... www.nicholaslodge.com

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 8

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

it says to let rest for 24 hours, but I made some yesterday and used it within 3 hours

CakesByLJ Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 8

I forgot to add, I have been using his recipe ever since my first class with him, and I think it's the best~! Easy to make and wonderful to work with.

Has anyone ever had to refrigerate completed gumpaste decorations? I am doing a cake for this weekend and the cake needs to be refrigerated, how will this affect the gumpaste?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 8

I have heard that gumpaste will get all soft if you put it in the fridge, but I have never tried it. You might want to experiment before you do it for a cake you are selling. icon_biggrin.gif

I agree though.. this is the BEST GP I have ever used.. just wonderful all around.

CakesByLJ Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I have heard that gumpaste will get all soft if you put it in the fridge, but I have never tried it. You might want to experiment before you do it for a cake you are selling. icon_biggrin.gif

I agree though.. this is the BEST GP I have ever used.. just wonderful all around.

Thanks Jeanne.... duhhh icon_confused.gif , why didn't I think of that... I made some extra pieces, I can just spread some buttercream and sit a couple of pieces in it to see what happens....... thanks!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 8

Why not just add the GP decorations when you take the cake out?

CakesByLJ Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:32am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

Why not just add the GP decorations when you take the cake out?

That is exactly what I would do, normally. However, this cake is being picked up Sat AM for a party on Sunday, due to the fact that I am leaving town. I would rather have the cake completely put together rather than having her transport, and place all the gumpaste decorations on it (the risk of breakage worries me). I am registered in a class at Nick's in Atlanta, and do not want to miss it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%