Put In The Fridge Or Not?

Decorating By maggiev777 Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 1:00pm by bashini

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 5

Sorry, another fridge question.

I made two 9" rounds on Sunday. It was late and so I let them cool in the pans and just covered them with saran wrap on top and left them on the counter. I kicked myself this morning for leaving them in the pans, afraid this morning they would have dry crusty edges and bottom from overbaking after I took them out of the oven. But I checked them and they are moist and perfect, not crusty at all - whew!

Anyway I will decorate tomorrow. My question is, can I just leave them in the pans today, covered with saran, on the counter? Would it be better to put them in the fridge? Would it be better to take them out of the pans and wrap fully in saran?

I'm paranoid about the fridge drying stuff out, but I didn't know if that was actually true. Also wasn't sure if they would stay fresher longer in the fridge or on the counter.

Thoughts?

4 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 5

I usually allow my cakes to sit over night in the fridge. They are on a foil covered cake board and then very well covered with seran wrap and then foil. I find they're easier to tort (fewer crumbs, easier to cut) than "freshly" baked cakes. (It's too warm here to allow anything to sit out.)

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 5

If you are covering these in BC than I would (this is what I always do) torte, crumbcoat and then freeze. Decorate from frozen. I usually wait until it defrosts to add my dark/bleeding colours like red and black for writing.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 5

"I find they're easier to tort (fewer crumbs, easier to cut"

Well, I agree with lapazlady for that reason. But It looses the freshness of the cake. I don't like when the cake gets hard. I always let the cake cool for 10-15 minutes in the tin, turn it out on to a cooling rack. Then, when its completely cooled, I wrap it in baking parchment ( I don't know what you call it in america. we use it to line the cake tins. ) and then in foil and keep it in an airtight box. Anyway, its really cold in England at this time of the year. Hope I have being helpful. [/quote]

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 5

"I find they're easier to tort (fewer crumbs, easier to cut"

Well, I agree with lapazlady for that reason. But It looses the freshness of the cake. I don't like when the cake gets hard. I always let the cake cool for 10-15 minutes in the tin, turn it out on to a cooling rack. Then, when its completely cooled, I wrap it in baking parchment ( I don't know what you call it in america. we use it to line the cake tins. ) and then in foil and keep it in an airtight box. Anyway, its really cold in England at this time of the year. Hope I have being helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%