Applying Mmf To Cookies

Baking By Petro Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 1:30am by Petro

Petro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petro Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:06am
post #1 of 9

I have a question on applying fondant to cookies. I currently apply my MMF to my cookies as they come out of the oven. I give the icing a few seconds to warm up and then smooth it out to the edges of the cookie.

Now for my question...I was just watching a video and it looks as if the cookies are not right out the oven but it doesn't show applying anything to the MMF to make it adhere to the cookie?? On the video, it seems like it'd be easier to do it that way but what makes the MMF stick to the cookie? Does anyone else use something to glue to MMF to the cookie?

Thanks

8 replies
Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:14am
post #2 of 9

I use a thin coat of buttercream icing to glue my MMF to the cookie. You can also use pipping get very thin.

hecfino68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hecfino68 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:20am
post #3 of 9

corn syrup works as well

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 9

I use thinned corn syrup, full strength seems too sticky to me. I have made hundreds this way and never have had a problem. Thin the syrup, with water, brush it on with a pretty good size brush(1/2 inch sable brush) and apply your fondant. Don't put a heavy layer of syrup on, the excess will run onto the fondant and will show. If I am going to sugar the cookie, I apply the fondant with the thin syrup, then use a little heavier mixture of syrup to brush over the fondant, then sugar it. The sugar stays very well, makes a nice even coat and the cookies look great..

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 9

I just brush water onto the back of the MMF cutout -- sticks fine, doesn't add any extra sweetness.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 9

You can use corn syrup, thinned piping gel, water, seived apricot (or other flavor) preserves, melted jam, just about anything. Just make sure it's a THIN coating -- a little dab'l do ya! icon_lol.gif

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 9

i use vanilla

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 9

I bake my cookies ahead of time, then when ready to decorate I just pull out of freezer. Let come to room temp., brush a thin layer of clear corn syrup. Works great, never had any problems.

Petro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petro Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:30am
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try these ideas. I think it's going to make it much easier.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%