Fondant Covered Cakes

Decorating By DelightsByE Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 6:36am by al_australia

DelightsByE Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:38am
post #1 of 11

How do I get fondant to stick to BC icing without using piping gel? I don't like how piping gel tastes and IMO it interferes with the BC flavor and the fondant flavor.

Any suggestions?

10 replies
al_australia Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 4:10am
post #2 of 11

What do you use the pipping gel for? the way i was shown was crumb coat the cake with BC, put it in the fridge for a half hour or so, roll fondant then cover the cake it should stick when you rub over the fondant to get out air bubbles your kind of sticking it to the cake maybe your fondant is not worked enough and is to dry, your fondant should feel warm when its ready to cover the cake, not cold. I have seen people wet down the cake with a little bit of water on there hands, rub it into the cake before you cover it.

ssunshine564 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 4:16am
post #3 of 11

Once I frost my cake with BC I put it in the fridge to set, then I take my mister bottle with water and spray my cake lightly , then I cover it with my fondant. Works great for me.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 4:23am
post #4 of 11

The only time I've ever used gel to stick fondat was in my Wilton class and that was just to cover the board. I only use BC under my fondant on a cake. I don't even use the water and it adheres (I use all different BC recipes).

DelightsByE Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:19am
post #5 of 11

Well boy do I feel stupid dunce.gif I hardly ever do fondant covered cakes, and was going back in my memory to Wilton III in which we used piping gel....

I tried to adhere the fondant just to the BC but it had crusted to the point where it wouldn't stick consistently and I was fighting with it. Never occurred to me to mist with H2O!!

Thanks for the tips!

Wendoger Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:25am
post #6 of 11

I dont use anything....sticks just fine to the bc. icon_biggrin.gif

SCS Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:43am
post #7 of 11

I just use BC as well, and then place the fondant over the cake. I don't even put it in the fridge - just BC it, then fondant it!!!

MacsMom Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:58am
post #8 of 11

Ditto - I just lay MMF right over BC. When it's been in the fridge, I use my hands to warm up the BC and smooth it a bit more before covering in MMF.

jarjam1026 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:19am
post #9 of 11

Well i'm sure glad i looked at this post. Thanks

Kala Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:34am
post #10 of 11

Thanks everyone for the good info.

al_australia Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 6:36am
post #11 of 11

Hey thats what its all about asking! thats how we learn not all of us are good at everything and im learning as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%