Boxs & Change

Business By schildwaster Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 1:38pm by CakeMommyTX

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:03am
post #1 of 13

i had a cupcake cake order today. The customers son came to pick it up and paid with cash. The total was $29. Well, when he handed me $30 I asked him, "Do you want me to go get you a dollar for your change?" I wish I had said I'll go get you a dollar so he would have said oh don't worry about it or yes please. Anyways, I feel like I made him GIVE me his dollar change. (i know a guy probably doesn't think twice about this) And to top it off, it was a last minute order, for a new customer and i was out of 9x13 boxes and the nearest place that wouldn't have cost me 10 in gas was closed by the time i got there saturday and they are not open sunday. I put the cupcake cake on a decorated board to try to make up for it. He didn't even blink that it wasn't in a box, but I always put cakes and cookies in a box, i think it is more business like. any thoughts beside get over it and keep more boxes on hand?
icon_razz.gif

12 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:26am
post #2 of 13

I mean this in the nicest way possible but you answered your own question

jibbies

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:52am
post #3 of 13

I've done the same thing, sometimes the words just come flying out before you think. Problem is, sometimes I DON'T have change. Its a rarity for me to have cash on hand and most of my customers pay by check or at least have the decency to get exact change. icon_smile.gif Maybe we both should just put a little box with $20 in small bills by the door?

schildwaster Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:33am
post #4 of 13

i know i answered my own question. i guess i was looking for I've done this too and it doesn't really reflect that badly.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:34am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I've done the same thing, sometimes the words just come flying out before you think. Problem is, sometimes I DON'T have change. Its a rarity for me to have cash on hand and most of my customers pay by check or at least have the decency to get exact change. icon_smile.gif Maybe we both should just put a little box with $20 in small bills by the door?

I completely agree about having change on hand. I'm horrible about change. Most my clients pay in check or exact change. It's hard not to feel guilty about not giving $1 change. Had they known you had to drive out of your way to find a box, they probably would have said, just keep the $1. They may have said that anyway.

If this is something that will bother you, maybe you could mail the $1 back to the client. But I would think about keeping change on the side like Kory said.

GL!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 13

I never have change (I never carry cash) and didn't think about it until a customer paid me and needed $4 change. I'm not a store or a bank, I don't have change. Luckily she was a friend and I gave her the change the next day. I would probably mail the dollar in a "thank you for your order" card because the guilt over a dollar would kill me. I can't stand to owe anyone money.

punkin712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin712 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

I never have change (I never carry cash) and didn't think about it until a customer paid me and needed $4 change. I'm not a store or a bank, I don't have change. Luckily she was a friend and I gave her the change the next day. I would probably mail the dollar in a "thank you for your order" card because the guilt over a dollar would kill me. I can't stand to owe anyone money.

I have to respectfully disagree with your statement of "I'm not a store or a bank." As soon as you decide to sell something to somebody (friend, relative or stranger) you are taking on the role of a retailer and that includes having change if the customer needs it. I'm not saying you need to carry a wad of cash for people who use a $100 bill for a $13 order, but you should have a reasonable amount ready.

onegr8girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onegr8girl Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 13

Two pieces of advice on this. I would keep about $10 in ones on hand so that you have change available. Or advise all your clients to please bring exact change.

Second, practice the phrase "I'll be right back with your change." I worked at 5 star restaurants for several years and people would be seriously reprimanded for saying "Did you want some change."

Chances are he would have said don't worry about it regardless so don't feel bad. Live and learn, right?

schildwaster Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:07pm
post #9 of 13

I always ask what form of payment the customer will be using, that way I know if they say cash, I might have to give change. I had the change, just not on the front porch where he picked up the cake. It was only a few feet away on the dining room table, I was heading to the door with his cash in hand to get it. I just felt like the way that I said it implied that he should give me the dollar.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:10pm
post #10 of 13

People still use cash? icon_confused.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:28pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

People still use cash? icon_confused.gif

I used some cash the other day at the mall and you would of thought I tried to pay with rocks or something,the cashier even giggled when I was counting out the money. icon_confused.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:40pm
post #12 of 13

hahahaha! You were the person in the credit card commercial that causes everything to come crashing down!!! icon_lol.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:38pm
post #13 of 13

yes yes I was icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%