Flour Conversion Help Please????

Decorating By dl5crew Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 12:19am by FromScratch

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 10

How do I convert a recipe that calls for all-purpose flour to self rising flour?
The recipe calls for AP flour, baking powder,salt

9 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:18am
post #2 of 10

Their is usually a conversion chart on your flour. On mine which is Gold Medal, its on the bottom side. It says Substituting Flour - All-purpose flour can be used in recipes calling for self-rising flour. For each cup of flour in the recipe, add 1 1/2 tsps baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:39am
post #3 of 10

Based on what I searched on the internet, you can take AP flour and make self-rising, but you can't take self-rising and make AP.

http://www.pastrywiz.com/archive/recipe/0120.htm

The self-rising flour you have already has baking powder in it. Unless you know exactly how much per cup, you risk having too much or too little if you try to adjust.

As Emeril himself says, cooking you can just throw stuff together, but baking is a science and must be exact.

dl5crew Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:58am
post #4 of 10

That's what I was afraid of. icon_cry.gif
No cinnamon rolls for breakfast icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:10am
post #5 of 10

What's your recipe? You might be fine if you don't add any extra leavening to your recipe. Although it could be a sign from the universe to have a more nutritionally sound breakfast.. icon_wink.gif Cinnamon rolls are yummy, but won't do your body any good. icon_lol.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:58am
post #6 of 10
dl5crew Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you so much JanH. That helps alot.

jkalman: I know it's not the best thing to have for breakfast. My husband gets paid once a month. So I buy groceries on a very tight budget...$259.00 to be exact for the month. When grocery money is gone, we eat what we have. Pay day is 4 days away.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:30pm
post #8 of 10

When I was a kid, we had to "make do" with whatever was in the cabinet, too.

We would make "cinnamon rolls" out of extra pie dough. As far as I know, my mom wasn't particular about what flour she used for pie dough, so it may not matter if it's self rising or AP.

Roll out dough into a circle. Take a stick of butter/margarine (we always used margarine .... never had "butter" in my life until I was in my 20's!) and coat the circle of dough. Cover with sugar and cinnamon. Roll into a roll; slice and bake.

They weren't as soft as bakery yeast cinnamon rolls, obviously, but for a house of 6 kids who were poorer than dirt, they tasted pretty darn good on those days before payday! thumbs_up.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 10

Oh I hear ya! My mom would take pie dough and put cinnamin, sugar, butter, and peanut butter on it. Then roll it up and bake it. It was great and it used up the scraps of pie dough. My mom grew up where they boiled bones to make soup and she had one outfit for school. So they also had to make do with what they had. You learn to get really creative with stuff thats hidden in the back of the pantry! And a lot of dishes were made that way, like Italian dishes and things. They had to make do with what they had!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:19am
post #10 of 10

Oh goodness.. I was just being silly.. I would love cinnamon rolls for breakfast.. icon_biggrin.gif I didn't mean to make you feel badly if I did. I hope you made those cinnamon rolls.. and if you haven't.. make them!! You'll be fine with the self rising flour just leave out the baking powder(soda). And if they don't puff up as much.. they will still taste damn good! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%