Cake Scraps... What Else?

Decorating By lpino Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 5:16am by elvisb

lpino Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 19

I have soooo much left from a couple of carved cakes and I don't know what to do with it. I have separated a lot for cake balls but I would like to make something else...

I know I have seen other recipes here but I can't find them...

Any ideas on what I can make with all my leftovers??

Thanks!!!
Laura

18 replies
indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:42am
post #2 of 19

Oh my goodness, we are so sick of cake leftovers, that they all just go straight to the trash!

Woodworkers have leftover wood scraps; house painters have bits of paint left; cake decorators have cake scraps.

To me, it's just part of the cost of the product, like egg shells and wax paper sheets.

I have too much legit stuff in my refrigerator. I'm not gonna become a pack rat with cake scraps. icon_lol.gif

Trash.

JanH Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:55am
post #3 of 19
Cyndi1207 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:05am
post #4 of 19

I too just automatically toss them now. It's insane how much you get in scraps. I know for me it's a couple of cake layers worth icon_sad.gif

I don't want to eat them anymore because I can see the results around my mid-section----so straight to the trash for me.

When someone wants cake balls I'll reserve some but honestly I usually just bake up some layers to make even those. Sad------I know.

lpino Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 19

Indydebi and cyndi1207, I hear you. I am tired of cake crumbs too but it is such a waste it hurts me...

I gotta say that when I make cake balls, I don't even eat them anymore as I am tired of them but I was thinking maybe I can make a cake out of the scraps and then bring it to work or something...

Thanks anyway!
icon_biggrin.gif

MomLittr Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 19

In Toba Garrett's book (Well Decorated Cake), she uses cake scraps and icing as sort of a crumb coat. One of these days I have to try that!

deb

MomLittr Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 19

Just had another thought (sorry, started a diet today and am already craving cake) - how about layering cake scraps in parfait glasses with pudding and/or whipped cream? Yummy........... icon_lol.gif

deb

beachcakes Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 19

I was wondering the same thing! I have at least 3# of scraps from this weekend's caking that are in the freezer! Cake balls are ok, but time consuming and messy! If there was something I could do with them to bring them to work... My family just doesn't need to eat anymore cake! I'm not in a good spot either from all these cake scraps, considering the holidays (and holiday weight gain) are approaching!!

indydebi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:23pm
post #9 of 19

I heard so much about cake balls when I got on here, that I looked up the recipe, and bluntly, they sound disgusting! Mooshed up cake sogged up with a liquid or icing? Based on the recipe I saw, I'm not even remotely interested in trying to make them. I know everyone says they are good and they sell well for many of you, but mooshed up cake mixed with icing until it's a big pile of goo just doesn't sound appetizing to me.

mdelmauro Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 19

How about making a trifle dessert with a large clear glass bowl or trifle bowl - make a layer or not tightly packed cake pieces add a pudding layer with fruit sprinkled on top of that and keep layering till you're out of cake scraps - sprinkle some nuts on top and you have a new dessert. This is kind of a make your own recipe so any flavor cake/pudding or fruit will do. Enjoy. Cool Whip could even be used instead of pudding. Hope this helps you out - we love it a our house.

yh9080 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:26pm
post #11 of 19

If I have enough, I give them to my mom. She makes strawberry jello and mixes the cake scraps (broken up), strawberry jello (while in liquid form), and frozen strawberries in a 9x13 pan. Puts cool whip on top. Great quick dessert.

If I don't have enough, the scraps go straight to the trash. That way, I don't eat them. I admit though, I do allow myself a couple of bites to "taste test".

crazycakes2007 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:26pm
post #12 of 19

How do you serve/eat a cakeball, just like a doughnut hole?

I too have wanted to try Toba's method. It's supposed to give added structure to your cake to mix the crumbs with icing and coat your cake with it.

beachcakes Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:28pm
post #13 of 19

I've tried Toba's method, not as a crumb coat, but for a beach-themed cake. Makes great sand. It's the hula girl one in my pix.

GingerCakes Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:03pm
post #14 of 19

I have put mine in cups topped with a scoop of frosting for coworkers, family and friends. Worked for me because I had a lot of extra frosting, so it looked like I did it on purpose! Cup-o-cake. My poor dear husband eats a lot of scraps too... good thing he has a fast metabolism!

lecrn Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:31pm
post #15 of 19

Make trifles. They're so easy, delicious, & pretty. I keep my scraps in the freezer for about a month or two & have easy access to last min. desserts.
I personally hate cake balls (don't throw anything at me). I just can't get past the consistency. Indydebi, I think they taste exactly like mooshed up, gooey cake.

lpino Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:13pm
post #16 of 19

Well, I gotta tell you I do like cakeballs and my husband loves them but after a while, you need to try new stuff so, I checked the link that JenH mentioned and I got a chocolate chip cookie recipe so, I'm trying it as we "speak"! (cookies are in the oven).

I'll let you all know if I like them.

Thanks everyone!!!

leily Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:45am
post #17 of 19

I toss mine in a ziplock bag by flavor and into the freezer. When family and friends complain that they don't get a cake I bake, I give them a bag of their choice. This way I get them off my back when they want something free, and all of my scraps are already paid for by the customers!

LittleLinda Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:09am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelmauro

How about making a trifle dessert with a large clear glass bowl or trifle bowl - make a layer or not tightly packed cake pieces add a pudding layer with fruit sprinkled on top of that and keep layering till you're out of cake scraps - sprinkle some nuts on top and you have a new dessert. This is kind of a make your own recipe so any flavor cake/pudding or fruit will do. Enjoy. Cool Whip could even be used instead of pudding. Hope this helps you out - we love it a our house.

We use pudding AND cool whip and cake for trifles ... My niece makes a chocolate one with chocolate cake and chocolate pudding and cool whip and she puts crushed up heath bars in it. If she uses white or yellow cake, she uses vanilla pudding and cool whip and adds strawberries.

My mother used to make a recipe that I have done a few times where you layer white or yellow cake, prepared red jello. cool whip, and banana slices.

elvisb Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:16am
post #19 of 19

My family doesn't like the cake balls. My 7YO son loves to make chocolate mousse (OK, it's choc instant pudding and a tub of Cool Whip.) I let him make that and layer it with my cake scraps. The family devours this. You can use any flavor pudding with any flavor cake. He likes to be creative and have a chocolate layer, then a vanilla caramel layer, etc.

Also, I use disposable frosting bags. I put the leftovers in a ziploc bag and the scraps in a tupperware. The kids have a blast squirting frosting over their cake pieces and eating for dessert. I let them use my cruddy plastic deco tips, not my good metal ones, and they think they're so cool because they can decorate their mini cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%