Cake Walk Vs. Auction

Decorating By Steady2Hands Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 5:36pm by msmeg

Steady2Hands Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 7

I made 6 cakes for our elementary school Cake Walk. I took 2 to school on Friday and the other 4 on Saturday. When I got to the school on Saturday one teacher informed me they decided that my cakes were too pretty to put in the Cake Walk and they decided to auction them instead. She asked if that was okay. I told her it was fine.

I was honored that they felt that way about my cakes but when I got to the table where my other 2 cakes were I saw 4 cake boxes from a local bakery which were also being auctioned. I was then honored that they put my cakes in an auction where a well-known bakery had their cakes too.

So I decided to check out the bakery's cakes. I proceeded to lift the box lids one by one and oh my goodness ~ they were so sloppy. I have heard from several people that their workmanship is not great especially for a custom cake bakery. I would like to have bid on one just to see what they taste like.

Anyway, my whole point in this post was to say that my 6 cakes which would have gone for the cost of 2 tickets for the Cake Walk (about 50 cents) ended up earning the school a total of $150.00 in the auction. I am so excited about that!!!!!

They were novelty cakes: (2) Jack--O-Lanterns, (2) ghosts, (1) soccer ball, and (1) football.

So, if your school is looking for ways to make more money at their annual Fall Festival, mention a cake auction to them.

6 replies
kelleym Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 7

Congratulations to you, that must have felt great to raise all that money!

Bijoudelanuit Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 7

Congratulations! No wonder you're excited! You should be proud too icon_smile.gif Please post pictures for us to see!

Chef_Rinny Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 7

What exactly is a cake walk? I have had a few people pick up small cakes for them and have no clue!

danar217 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 7

A cake walk is where they put down numbers in a circle and you walk around to each number to music (similar to musical chairs) then when the music stops, a number is called. if you are standing on that number, you win a cake.

Memie Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 7

I think the cake auction is a great idea. I made 2 barbie doll cakes for my mother's church's fall festival last year and then found out they don't even charge for the cake walk. The entire festival is free. I felt like it was such a waste of time and money for me to do those cakes, especially since most of the donated cakes were store bought. I told my mom that in the future I would be happy to contribute if they are making any money out of it, but otherwise, forget it.

msmeg Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 7

in cub scouts we always did a father son cake decorating contest.. we awarded some sort of prize ( a ribbon ) to every boy and a few bigger prizes... then we held a cake auction... and parents and grandparents bid on the cakes... some went high it was a great money maker

We even had a read auctioner for a few years as a parent.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%