Is There A Way To Make Paint Out Of Gel Dyes?

Decorating By sweetypiehi Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 10:39pm by mamacc

sweetypiehi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetypiehi Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 5

Is there a way to make paint out of gel dyes? I want to paint some fondont but all i have is gel dyes, is there wa way to make paint or will i have to go hunting for some?

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 5

If you have Americolor gel/pastes, you can paint directly on fondant with those very easily. Straight out of the bottle, the colors are like watercolors. If you need opaque color, you can add a very little bit of white and that makes the color less see-through.

I haven't tried painting with the Wilton gel/pastes, but I'd think they'd work the same way. If a color is overly thick, you can thin it a bit with glycerine, or dip your brush in water or clear drinking alcohol (vodka, gin, or Everclear). That should thin it enough to paint with but not make it too runny.

HTH
Rae

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 5

It works well with the Wilton or CK gel icing colors. I usually this them with Vodka or you can use REAL vanilla extract, the alcohol will evaporate out.

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 5

How big an area do you wish to paint? If the area is not very big you can paint with the gel as is. Or you could add a small amount of water to it. Don't use too much as it will make the fondant gummy. If you want to do a larger area, thin it down with glycerine or alcohol so that it doesn't mess up the fondant like water would.
I experimented yesterday with painting on rolled buttercream and the results were OK (rolled buttercream has crisco in it and oil and water don't mix very well)
LL

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 5

If possible I prefer painting with luster dusts mixed with vodka. I use the gels too, mixed with a little bit of vodka but they don't go on as smoothly. I've had pretty good results with a mixture of gels, dust and vodka.

Courtney

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%