How To Get Your Cookies Even...

Baking By jl5949 Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 5:17pm by MichelleM77

jl5949 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 9

Can someone please tell me how they roll their cookies dough out so that the cookies are even... mine always seem to be thinner and then the next is thicker... is there a trick besides buying a new rolling pin?
Thanks!

8 replies
leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 9

Purchase the different thickness rubber band-like thingies. They slip onto the end of your rolling pin and elevate your rolling pin from yur countertop by 1/8", 1/4" etc. They can be found atmost kitchenware shops.

Or, roll your dough betwen two sticks (flat dowels, metal bars, etc) of the same height. When your rolling pin rolls smoothly over the dough and the tops of the bars, then you know your dough is even. And it willb e every time.

I have both the bars and the rubber band thingies, and use the rubber band thingies all the time.

kettlevalleygirl Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 9

Wilton and some other companies have elastic bands made in different widths that you can place on either end of the rolling pin.
You can also use different size dowels and place the dough in between the dowels and roll. That will give an even roll.
I have used both, if you are using a lot of fondant you can't really use either, because the it is such a big surface to roll.
Hope this helps.

kettlevalleygirl Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 9

Ha Ha funny to see leahs comment!! Great minds think a like!! I have to go back to bed, it is 5:38 am and I woke up with a migraine, took a couple Walgren migraine pills (bought in San Francisco) and it's gone, but I need some more sleep!!
Lorene

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 9

Hubby cut me a bunch of stick in different thicknesses...he is a carpenter...I roll in between these.

7yyrt Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 9

I use the sticks also. Just as it's difficult to cut a circle freehanded, it's difficult to roll even dough without help.

crazy4sugar Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Hubby cut me a bunch of stick in different thicknesses...he is a carpenter...I roll in between these.

Yeah, mine's a carpenter too...a lot of good that does me! Ever hear of the cobbler whose children had no shoes?

Anyway, I went to Home Depot and they cut me sticks in the length of 14" X 1/4" --- 14" x 1/8" --- etc. so now I have a set of what they sell as "perfection strips" at cake supply stores. They cost me $3 and I didn't have to wait 2 months for them (as I would from my resident carpenter who says "put it on the list")!

However, like Leah said: I use the rubber rings more because they stay in place and I can move around easier. I got mine from Karen's Cookies because they are sturdy, fit both my rolling pins, and are inexpensive. I love the 1/8" for fondant!

http://www.karenscookies.net/shop/baking-supplies/rolling-pin-rubber-rings/prod_95.html

crazy4sugar Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Yeah, mine's a carpenter too...a lot of good that does me! Ever hear of the cobbler whose children had no shoes?

Anyway, I went to Home Depot and they cut me sticks in the length of 14" X 1/4" --- 14" x 1/4" --- etc. so now I have a set of what they sell as "perfection strips" at cake supply stores. They cost me $3 and I didn't have to wait 2 months for them (as I would from my resident carpenter who says "put it on the list")!

However, like Leah said: I use the rubber rings more because they stay in place and I can move around easier. I got mine from Karen's Cookies because they are sturdy, fit both my rolling pins, and are inexpensive. I love the 1/8" for fondant!

http://www.karenscookies.net/shop/baking-supplies/rolling-pin-rubber-rings/prod_95.html

MichelleM77 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 9

I went to the craft store and bought square dowels in the model car aisle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%