What Do You Do With All The Cake

Decorating By artist63 Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 12:48am by 7yyrt

artist63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artist63 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 13

Ok I have a problem I want to try out all these cakes, but what do I do with them when I am done. and DON"T say eat them. Lord knows I don't need to be eating anymore cake. Just about all my kids have moved out and I have no one to eat my creations. Any ideas will be appreciated. oh yeah hubby doesn't like cake icon_surprised.gif ( I know how crazy is that)

12 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 13

You start bringing them into work, DH work, neighbors, friends. As long as they know they wont be getting freebies forever! This way you can practice to your hearts content and get some exposure.

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 13

My kids have moved out, my husband works & lives 4 hours away...I have taken cakes to work, donated them to retirement homes, what ever. I just made the pumpkin cake because I wanted to try it, and gave it to a girlfriend who fed her neighbourhood!! icon_lol.gif
I won't be giving cakes away too much more, but I do want to practice and make cakes for my portfolio, so I figure it is nice to share.
Actually yesterday, I decided to only give away cakes, if they could go somewhere, where I could place my business cards near by!!
Anyway just a thought...

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 13

Doctor's office, schools (if allowed) dentist's, RSPCA, I'm sure a lot of places would welcome beautiful cakes

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:30pm
post #5 of 13

I am going to try and make a cake a weekend for the next couple weekends.

If it's something we don't want to eat or if I'm practicing stacking wedding cakes and there's just too much cake to eat, I also pass it out to my neighbors, friends and DH work. I hate being stuck with all kinds of cake. Sometimes I'll pass it onto my father-in-law who will take it to his work too. He's a supervisor and everyone loves treats from their boss right??

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 13

Get you some cake dummies, practice away then scpape it all off and start all over again. They work great. Here is the link to where I got mine. Great prices, and shipping.
http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/cakedummies.html
by the way, the cake in my avatar is made with dummies.

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 13

if i am practcing decorations, i use dummies...you can get them from the bakerskitchen.com but if i am trying a recipe, then i give it away.

artist63 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks guys.. cake dummies is a good idea. We are military so we move every three years. Not alot of friends yet, and I haven't started working course when I do go back to work I won't have all this free time on my hands talk about a catch 22.
I will definately try the cake dummies though thanks for everyones input

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 13

bringing them to schools and putting them in the teachers lounge is a great way to get rid of extra cake get some free advertising. I know a lady who brings one to school every month for the teachers who have a birthday in that month. She also leaves a few flyers and she has received soooo much business by doing that.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by artist63

We are military

Take them to the barracks (if they'll let you) or send them with your husband. There are lots of young people away from home who might really appreciate a home baked treat.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 13

In every town there is a "house" where unadopted children live... Contact the United Way, and they can direct you... Lots of kids out there would love a nice cake brought their way by a loving woman. icon_biggrin.gif

artist63 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 9:08pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks everyone for their ideas. DH is going to take cakes to work and give to the geographical batcholers icon_biggrin.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 12:48am
post #13 of 13

I cut my NFSC into 9 inch cookies with a round cake pan as the cutter. You can decorate them exactly the same as the top of a cake. I give them out all the time, and send them to DH's work.

Cheaper, and people like recieving them as they aren't as big as a cake would be, so less diet disaster...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%