First Wedding Cake (Besides Mine) And I Need Help With Sizes

Decorating By cncgirl00 Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 2:06pm by cncgirl00

cncgirl00 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:55am
post #1 of 4

A lady at church wants me to make her daughter's wedding cake. She has her own 3 tier cake stand (6," 8", 10" plates) but she wants cake for 150 people. Any suggestions on how to get the servings she needs? Maybe add a 12 x 18 cake? And what do you guys charge for this many servings. It's gonna be a simple BC cake, no roses, with (maybe)RI swirl accents and 2-3 flavors (chocolate, yellow, ?) This will be my first wedding cake of this size.

3 replies
kettlevalleygirl Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 4

I think you should phone around to a few bakeries and get an idea of the cost of wedding cakes in your area.

indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 4

I would have no problem explaining that a 6/8/10 cake will serve 68 (+ 12 from the 6" anniversary cake = 80)) so her stand is really too small for the size of cake she needs. If she REALLY REALLY is hell bent on using that stand, then she's looking at a tiny wedding cake with a couple of sheet cakes.

Seems a shame to have a dinky wedding cake as the "Grand Centerpiece" of the reception.

(Can you tell I'm not a fan of sheet cakes at weddings?)

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

cncgirl00 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 4

This is the stand she'll be using. I showed her other stands that I had but she wouldn't budge. I believe I will tell her to get someone else to do this cake for her. She changed her mind and wants to use Wilton white fondant and wants me to add flavoring to it to "get rid of the bad taste" and she didn't want any bc (I told her there had to be something under the fondant to bind it to the cake). Then, after I quoted a price ($125) she adds an additional 10" cake and extra fondant, luster dust and RI decorations that will be very time consuming and doesn't think I should raise the price. I'm letting this diva who thinks she knows it all go to bakery.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%