Mmf Sweating Too Much?

Decorating By bakerchick Updated 4 Nov 2007 , 8:33pm by janbabe

bakerchick Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:07am
post #1 of 9

Hi all
Just wondering if someone can shed some light on my plight, I made my first aeroplane cake, turned out to be great fun.
I decided to use MMF as I have not made it before but have come across some rave reviews about it on CC.
All went rather well on construction. The cake is virtually finished, however I've found it has started to get rather sticky, I have read in forums before that condensation evaporates after and hour or so, and i was planning on putting it in the fridge, but am too scared to now.
It's been sitting for about 2 hours, and it's still tacky. We have had some high humidity today, but will it still dry? it's now 9pm and i'm letting it rest out overnight with a cotton tea towel over the top. Is this a good idea? the cake needs to be delivered tomorrow at 0930am.
Luckily it's only a chocolate cake with frosted layers and icing to crumb coat, with the MMF on top. Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance.
bakerchick

8 replies
bakerchick Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:13am
post #2 of 9

The pennies just dropped, I forgot to mention, I did have the cakes in the freezer to firm up the components of the cake, would this be whats causing the MMf to sweat? It wasn't frozenthough , just chilled enough to make the crumb coat nice and firm, any help would be much appreciated.

beachcakes Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 9

Sorry you're having trouble. The chilling could be a problem, but I'm inclined to believe it's the humidity. I've given up on MMF for this reason. If you live in a high humidity area, it could take days to dry. Not sure if the cotton tea towel will leave an imprint or fuzz since the MMF's already tacky? Try putting it under a fan to help air movement.

bakerchick Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 9

Beachcakes thanks for the reply, this is the second time, i've posted and only got one reply back, can you tell what you use in humid situations? I would prefer it to go in the fridge if at all possible, as well as just drying at room temp. any suggestions?
thanks
heaps
bakerchick

beachcakes Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:45am
post #5 of 9

I use either Satin Ice or FondX. If I'm modeling figures, I'll knead in some tylose powder to help it dry faster. FondX claims it can go in the fridge and freezer... I've only tried the fridge. I'm near the beach, so the air is very often humid! DH bought me a dehumidifier for the kitchen b/c he was tired of hearing me complain about sticky fondant!

BakingGirl Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:55am
post #6 of 9

Sounds to me like it is the chilled cakes which caused the MMF to sweat. That happens to me all the time. I put my cakes under a fan on high for half an hour, that usually dries the fondant out no problem.

bakerchick Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:08am
post #7 of 9

thanks guy's for your help, I've put the cake near the air con, without the humidity setting, and hpefully this will help, the delivery has been delayed till 2pm, so i'm hoping this will work ok. Mmf was really easy to do and use but now, i'm sweating it out more than the cake I think!

thanks again

bakerchick Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:12am
post #8 of 9

thanks guy's for your help, I've put the cake near the air con, without the humidity setting, and hpefully this will help, the delivery has been delayed till 2pm, so i'm hoping this will work ok. Mmf was really easy to do and use but now, i'm sweating it out more than the cake I think!

thanks again

janbabe Posted 4 Nov 2007 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 9

If you freeze or chill your cake before fondant icing it, it will get condensation on it. You have to let it stand or try and dry it with a cool fan.
It is a nuciance but its so much easier to ice a cake when it is slightly firmer.
Jan x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%