Can I Start Icing My Halloween Cake Today?

Decorating By messyeater Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 6:52pm by messyeater

messyeater Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:02am
post #1 of 6

I've got a cake to do for wednesday...it's not a paid for cake , it's for my own halloween party. The thing is there is a lot of detail on the outside and I want to get started. I'm planning on baking the cake (butter pound cake) today.

Can I put the all butter BC on today and cover it with toba's fondant this evening? That will be three days in advance...what do you think?

It wont have any filling other than the buttercream and I'm not hugely worried about the moistness of the cake because i've eaten it a week old before and it's still good. I suppose my main concern is the buttercream and the fondant. I dont want the fondant to be rock hard and will an all butter bc hold up for three days out of the fridge? (the weather is pretty cool here at the moment).

Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
messyeater Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 6

Anybody???

briannastreats Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 6

I don't think you should have a problem. As long as it stays cool in your house, you should be fine. The fondant will be hard on the outside, but it will seal the moistness into the cake, and stay soft on the under side. I would also just lightly wrap in saran wrap. HTH!!

step0nmi Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannastreats

I don't think you should have a problem. As long as it stays cool in your house, you should be fine. The fondant will be hard on the outside, but it will seal the moistness into the cake, and stay soft on the under side. I would also just lightly wrap in saran wrap. HTH!!

yes, this is what I would do! The frosting and the fondant preserve the cake...you don't even need to put it in the fridge!

elizw Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 6

i would start today. just keep it in a cool, out of the way place. good luck with the party!!

messyeater Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! I have started now so no turning back!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%