Help!! Can I Wrap Sugar Cones In Fondant And If So How??

Decorating By MustloveDogs Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 11:37am by Charmaine49

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 7:42am
post #1 of 19

Hello,
I am nearly in tears with these sugar/waffle cones that I have always used on top of my castle cake turrets. The humidity is softening them so much that they are keeling over. I have tried everything to stop them unravelling but they still end up collapsing backwards.
I have seen this picture here http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=11336
where she uses fondant over the top of the sugar cones, but HOW do I do that? I hope that it would be enough strength to the sugar cones to stop them keeling over, or would it????
Please help me!!

18 replies
kdannewells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdannewells Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 8:05am
post #2 of 19

If they are collapsing from weight, I would stuff foil inside the cone just for support. What are you using to stick the fondant to the cone? If you are using icing it might be too heavy. If you have corn syrup, warm some up and put a (very)light coating on the sugarcone. You also might try putting the sugarcones in the oven for a few mins to get rid of that extra moisture.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 8:59am
post #3 of 19

Yes, I was also going to suggest popping them into the oven for a short while, to crisp them up again.
I am also going to be doing a castle cake shortly, so I will take any advice on the turrets that come my way.
I thought one had to put a thin layer of icing on the roll plus the cone, to get the fondant to "stick" to everything.

Hope you come right and that it all works out for you!!

MustloveDogs Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 9:01am
post #4 of 19

No, I haven't got fondant on my waffle cones yet, that's what I want to know how I get it on.
The waffle cones on their own just unwind and collapse with the humidity we have here in summer/spring. Nothing is preventing this, I have tried glueing where it unwinds with royal icing, but the waffle cone still softens so much that it goes wonky.
I wanted to know if fondant over the top would strengthen the cone enough to stop it sagging and how exactly i neatly cover a cone shape as I have never done it before.

Charmaine49 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 19

I would seriously think about using fondant rather than normal icing, as this is what I am going to use.
Possibly this is why your cones are getting soft, it is taking in the moisture of the icing that you are putting on.

Hope I am correct in giving you this advice.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 19

Why not make the turret cone from RKT?

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 19

I can't help you with a fondat wrap, but I can help you get a smooth look. I don't remember where I learned this, I'm sure it was a tutorial for a cake on another site.

You take store bought frosting and warm it a few seconds at a time until it is pourable. Dip your sugar cones in and set them to dry on a cooling rack. If they aren't as well coated as you like you can redip them after they dry. It works really well. I've used this method for Shrek ears, dragon spikes (using bugles), and unicorn horns. Sometimes I color the frosting, sometimes I roll the half way dry cones in sparkles or sprinkles and they always turn out well. I wish I had digital pics to show you. I guess I need to get busy and scan in my older photos.

kdannewells Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 19

My cousin and I have done a few dummy cakes for the state fair recently. We use corn syrup in replace of icing to stick the fondant to the dummies. Worked like a charm. We warmed it on the stove to make it easier to work with and painted it on with a paint brush. I don't know what other surfaces it will work on, but it was great on the styrofoam. Why waste the icing if you aren't going to eat that part?

I love SuHwa's idea of dipping them! That might be a great solution!

kdannewells Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 19

My cousin and I have done a few dummy cakes for the state fair recently. We use corn syrup in replace of icing to stick the fondant to the dummies. Worked like a charm. We warmed it on the stove to make it easier to work with and painted it on with a paint brush. I don't know what other surfaces it will work on, but it was great on the styrofoam. Why waste the icing if you aren't going to eat that part? I love SuHwa's idea of dipping them. That might be a great solution.

kdannewells Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 9:02pm
post #10 of 19

My cousin and I have done a few dummy cakes for the state fair recently. We use corn syrup in replace of icing to stick the fondant to the dummies. Worked like a charm. We warmed it on the stove to make it easier to work with and painted it on with a paint brush. I don't know what other surfaces it will work on, but it was great on the styrofoam. Why waste the icing if you aren't going to eat that part?

I love SuHwa's idea of dipping them! That might be a great solution!

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 9:11pm
post #11 of 19

What if you melt chocolate and dip the cone in chocolate and let it harden?? Then you can put icing over the chocolate or roll in sprinkles.

Frozen ice cram cones have the chocolate coating on the inside so that the icecream will not soften the cone.

That may work, instead of using fondant... Just a thought...

MustloveDogs Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 19

Thankyou thankyou thankyou everyone!!
I will try covering one in fondant today, Charmaine, thankyou so much for the tutorial..it's JUST what i need to follow!! and also I will dip one and roll it in sparkles and see if either one is strong enough to last!
Thanks again, you guys are the best!!! thumbs_up.gif

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 9:13pm
post #13 of 19

Melt some white chocolate or milk chocolate depending on the look you are after. Let them dry...they should harden nicely for you and keep their shape. I also agree with the RKT method...works great. Just cover with royal icing and then the fondant. Good luck...let us see a picture!

CuteCakeName Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuteCakeName Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 9:15pm
post #14 of 19

If your cones are already collapsing, I think putting fondant on them would just make it worse. It is not strong enough on it's own to stand up in a cone shape, so the weight would just pull your already "wonky" cones down. I think I would put them in the oven for a few minutes, as was suggested, and then dip them in melted icing using SuHwa's method. I hope they turn out okay!

Heather

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 9:17pm
post #15 of 19

i've seen ithink in wilton products fake plastic cones. i hope i haven't missed any info but is there some way you can fondant wrap some styrofoam cones?

not trying to sound like a dunce honest lol

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 9:17pm
post #16 of 19

i've seen ithink in wilton products fake plastic cones. i hope i haven't missed any info but is there some way you can fondant wrap some styrofoam cones?

not trying to sound like a dunce honest lol

MustloveDogs Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:54am
post #17 of 19

okay, so far I have 1 waffle cone wrapped in fondant drying right now, and 1 covered in white chocolate but it looks a little messy to me and a third one with white chocolate on the inside, but the waffle is unravelling still on that one so it's out.
I am thinking the fondant covered one looks the nicest and is completely edible,so will most likely go with it. I am sitting it out for the next couple of days to watch it and make sure it is hard enough and doesn't soften.
Wish me luck! and thanks everyone for wonderful ideas!! thumbs_up.gif

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:15am
post #18 of 19

i do it when i make castle cakes. i just smooth a thin layer of buttercream on the cone as glue and then apply the fondant.

good luck!

Charmaine49 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:37am
post #19 of 19

I am sure everyone will wish you luck on this one,
just hope you get it all right and that your cake will
turn out a success!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%