Frustrated...

Decorating By newlywedws Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 6:36am by CoutureCake

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:49am
post #1 of 9

I give up...

For the past few days, I've been working on a cake, and the misc details. The cake was for a contest, as well as to be included in a cake walk.

I begin to think that I'm automatically dis-qualified, b/c I have some decent cake decorating skills (not the best in the world, but sufficient) so I make a cake w/ the theme of "Charlie Brown & the great pumpkin" -it was 11"x15" -w/ 5 royal icing figures (Charlie, Linus, Sallie, Lucy, and Snoopy) plus it had a mini-bundt cake for the "giant pumpkin" and it also had little candy pumpkins...like the characters were in a pumpkin field...and I got a few compliments on the cake also...anyways, when I hear "cake decorating contest" -I think exactly that, I don't think okay I have to "dumb down" what I know to "level" the playing field, and be "fair".

Well needless to say, I didn't win the "contest" - and honestly, it's not that I expected to either...but the person who won the "contest" was a lady who brought 4 single layer 8" cakes (actually 2 were cheesecakes) and they were only slightly decorated (if you would even say "decorated" perhaps "garnished" might be a better word)...seriously, how hard is it to sprinkle some chopped pecans/cake sprinkles on a cake icon_confused.gif

It's as though I'm being penalised for having taken cake decorating classes -and someone else gets the prize for having sprinkled pecans/cake sprinkles on a simple 8" cake/cheesecake. So I spent a whole lot of time actually decorating, while someone else garnished a cake/cheesecake and they win?!

Wish I knew that mediocre garnishing of a cake was an automatic shoe-in to win...I wouldn't have wasted my time.

Wasted my time, oh yes indeed, b/c during the cake walk...my dh won a cake, and chose my cake! So not only did I decorate a cake, but dh chose to bring it home also icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm just sick of it.

8 replies
artist63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artist63 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:58am
post #2 of 9

Now you have to think of the bright side here. What if DH hadn't choosen your cake? I think it is a total compliment that out of all the cakes he picked YOURS to bring back home icon_biggrin.gif

And don't worry about not "winning" I bet your cake was awesome. They are just jealous

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 9

As a peanut fan myself, i would've chosen your cake as well. Don't beat yourself up over it. Move on, who knows, what dark powers were behind the judging? Your cake is great and your dh knows how good your cakes are, otherwise he would've chosen another one, right? Enjoy the cake and get right in decorating another one

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by artist63

Now you have to think of the bright side here. What if DH hadn't choosen your cake? I think it is a total compliment that out of all the cakes he picked YOURS to bring back home icon_biggrin.gif

And don't worry about not "winning" I bet your cake was awesome. They are just jealous

Ditto!

I understand your frustration too!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:08pm
post #5 of 9

awww! You cake was so cute too! Well hopefully some other people saw your cake and felt you should have been the winner too.

We have a cake walk at school too, but the way I figure, mine would go first (because mostly they give away boxes of hostess stuff instead of real cakes!) so I refuse to spend my "talent" on something that won't be appreciated.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:08pm
post #6 of 9

At least he did not pick the cake/cheesecake. icon_lol.gif

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 9

If you live in a town like the one I live in, only certain people with certain last names and their friends and family get anywhere in anything they do. You either have to have money or be well connected for you or your children to be on the A list, no matter what. This has been going on for generations in this town, and I don't expect it will change - you have to be careful who you gossip about and to whom, because somewhere down the line, they are all related because of marriage, etc. I even quit going to church in this town years ago, because they would be nice to you on Sunday, then look down their nose at you on the street any other day of the week. Moral to the story, the judging was probably decided before the entries were in.

As for your husband picking your cake, take it as a compliment - he'd rather eat something you made, and so would I if it were me - you never know about the hygiene of other people - same as if you were at a restaurant.

Keep your head held high - you know in your heart that you did well - that's all that matters.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 9

WE declare you the winner!!!! Garnishing with pecans is not decorating.

Who's got the blue ribbon to give to her? icon_biggrin.gif

Sherri

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:36am
post #9 of 9

I had a whole long nice reply typed out yesterday and my DH insisted I not finish it and post...

Suffice to say, since I've got a basement corner FILLED with Peanuts and Snoopy items, a daughter whose room is decorated with Baby Snoopy... I declare you're the winner by default...

I also agree with the PP in that I also grew up in a town that you had to have a particular last name in order to get anywhere with anything. The reality is that this is the same when it comes to competitions as well of any level whether that be your church, fair, or even Nat'l competitions. I remember one time when I was in a state competition feeling great about where I had placed with an animal only for the people who lost to say if we were at another competition I never would have won because of WHO they are (what??? stuck up snobs ???).. The same holds true for the one competition I enter a year for cake in that I'm not there to win the thing because it's impossible to compete with people who have put in 60+ hours on a cake because they're in culinary school and no one in the real world of decorating places but we're all there for the reason of just getting the advertising and refuse to put something out for a competition on home turf that we wouldn't sell in our shops..

As for the hubby, just be glad he picked yours... The reason... He knows your cake is going to be quality. He doesn't know what to expect from Ethel who wipes her dogs rear but doesn't wash her hands afterwards. The bad part is, I know a few "Ethel"s... Now, when that is given as your alternative, whose cake would you bring home???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%