How Do I Get Shiny Shiny Silver

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 4:32pm by ShirleyW

wgoat5 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:46am
post #1 of 13

I know I have read it somewhere here...and sorry for my laziness BUT....I need to know how to make my silver gp parts extra shiney icon_smile.gif

PLEASE help me LOL I soooo wanna know the secret...without searching the bottomless CC files icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you icon_smile.gif

Again sorry for being so lazy icon_sad.gif

12 replies
prettysweet Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:55am
post #2 of 13

I've used a luster dust called nu silver and it worked very nicely.

wgoat5 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:00am
post #3 of 13

Oh shoot I should of said I have the nu silver but it doesn't get SHINY SHINY LOL if ya know what I I just keep adding layers???

melysa Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:01am
post #4 of 13

i start with light grey fondant or gumpaste and then use a mixture of super pearl and nu silver. you can dry dust it or make a paint with dust and extract or alcohol.

adding the pearl gives it the glossy sheen that looks almost like a mirror- then the silver gives the metalic color you're looking for. almost like chrome.

wgoat5 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:06am
post #5 of 13

Thank you Melysa .... I always add super pearl to my mix of lustre but maybe I haven't with the nu silver. Would it be better to dry dust or to paint it do you think?

And thank you also LindaLou!!

ShirleyW Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:15am
post #6 of 13

1 part Super Pearl Luster Dust mixed with two parts Nu Silver luster dust, and enough liquid Everclear or vodka to make the consistency of unwhipped cream. This was a tip given to me from Creative Cutters in Canada and it works beautifully. Works just as well with the pearl mixed with gold luster dust for a true shiny gold.

melysa Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:18am
post #7 of 13

thanks shirley for the ratios- i was trying to remember what it was.

christi, depending on the look you are going for. what exactly are you doing? just a side note on if you decide to dry dust it. wait until the fondant is COMPLETELY dry and set before you do so unless you have a really large fluffy brush, or it will look blotchy.

if you have an airbrush, you'll get a nice even coloring with the paint mixture.

wgoat5 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:23am
post #8 of 13

Ok I'm doing a gumball machine for a auction...the front plates and top of the gb machine will be the retro style machines....and they are really shiny metal.

And I will be doing the plate in GP so it will dry alot harder and quiker icon_smile.gif

Ok see the consistancy I had been using was the 1 part pearl, 2 parts lustre then 3 parts of the everclear (gotta love that stuff lol)

wgoat5 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:26am
post #9 of 13

Oh yes forgot to thank you Shirley and you Melysa for replying so quickly...I'm taking notes as we speak icon_biggrin.gif

melysa Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:38am
post #10 of 13

youre welcome. test it out first to see which method you like best. i definately think that you'll have better results if you start with light grey. if you paint with a brush you'll likely want several coats, letting them dry in between.

cakequeen50 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 6:21am
post #11 of 13

Something I just learned last night, after you paint on your luster dust and it dries, buff it a bit with a dry brush, it turns out beautifully metallic.

mezzaluna Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 7:59am
post #12 of 13

I don't like silver dust, either. I always start with grey and paint with pearl dust.

ShirleyW Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:32pm
post #13 of 13

Your welcome Christi, that is one of the best tips I have received and I always try to pass it on to anyone interested in working with gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%