How Do I Get Shiny Shiny Silver

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 4:32pm by ShirleyW

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:46am
post #1 of 13

I know I have read it somewhere here...and sorry for my laziness BUT....I need to know how to make my silver gp parts extra shiney icon_smile.gif

PLEASE help me LOL I soooo wanna know the secret...without searching the bottomless CC files icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you icon_smile.gif

Again sorry for being so lazy icon_sad.gif

Christi

12 replies
prettysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettysweet Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:55am
post #2 of 13

I've used a luster dust called nu silver and it worked very nicely.

wgoat5 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:00am
post #3 of 13

Oh shoot I should of said I have the nu silver but it doesn't get SHINY SHINY LOL if ya know what I mean.....do I just keep adding layers???

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:01am
post #4 of 13

i start with light grey fondant or gumpaste and then use a mixture of super pearl and nu silver. you can dry dust it or make a paint with dust and extract or alcohol.

adding the pearl gives it the glossy sheen that looks almost like a mirror- then the silver gives the metalic color you're looking for. almost like chrome.

wgoat5 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:06am
post #5 of 13

Thank you Melysa .... I always add super pearl to my mix of lustre but maybe I haven't with the nu silver. Would it be better to dry dust or to paint it do you think?

And thank you also LindaLou!!

Christi

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:15am
post #6 of 13

1 part Super Pearl Luster Dust mixed with two parts Nu Silver luster dust, and enough liquid Everclear or vodka to make the consistency of unwhipped cream. This was a tip given to me from Creative Cutters in Canada and it works beautifully. Works just as well with the pearl mixed with gold luster dust for a true shiny gold.

melysa Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:18am
post #7 of 13

thanks shirley for the ratios- i was trying to remember what it was.

christi, depending on the look you are going for. what exactly are you doing? just a side note on if you decide to dry dust it. wait until the fondant is COMPLETELY dry and set before you do so unless you have a really large fluffy brush, or it will look blotchy.

if you have an airbrush, you'll get a nice even coloring with the paint mixture.

wgoat5 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:23am
post #8 of 13

Ok I'm doing a gumball machine for a auction...the front plates and top of the gb machine will be silver...like the retro style machines....and they are really shiny metal.

And I will be doing the plate in GP so it will dry alot harder and quiker icon_smile.gif

Ok see the consistancy I had been using was the 1 part pearl, 2 parts lustre then 3 parts of the everclear (gotta love that stuff lol)

wgoat5 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:26am
post #9 of 13

Oh yes forgot to thank you Shirley and you Melysa for replying so quickly...I'm taking notes as we speak icon_biggrin.gif

melysa Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:38am
post #10 of 13

youre welcome. test it out first to see which method you like best. i definately think that you'll have better results if you start with light grey. if you paint with a brush you'll likely want several coats, letting them dry in between.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 6:21am
post #11 of 13

Something I just learned last night, after you paint on your luster dust and it dries, buff it a bit with a dry brush, it turns out beautifully metallic.

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 7:59am
post #12 of 13

I don't like silver dust, either. I always start with grey and paint with pearl dust.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:32pm
post #13 of 13

Your welcome Christi, that is one of the best tips I have received and I always try to pass it on to anyone interested in working with gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%