First Stacked Cake Fell During Transport!!

Decorating By adflorea Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 1:50pm by Pearl70

adflorea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adflorea Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:28am
post #1 of 10

When I was invited to an anniversary party for my hubby's aunt and uncle I quickly called and offered to do the cake. I hadn't done a wedding style cake before so I thought it would be good practice for me and a way of letting people know that I am doing cakes. They asked me to have the cake there the night before so, I did. I sat it up in three tiers and the bows started falling off. I fixed them, or so I thought. The next day, I called to make sure the bows were still ok and they were falling off again. I decided to just go stack the cakes instead(first dumb mistake). I then put my hand in the frosting and caused the frosting to shift and crack. Ugh. I then decided to take the cake home and scrap frosting and refrost and redecorate(second dumb mistake). After running around like crazy and redoing everything I decided to stack and then deliver( final and stupidest mistake). My cake completely died. Not cool!!!!!!!!! Thank God that it was for family and not for an actual wedding. That's what I get for trying to be a perfectionist........ lol.

9 replies
PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:28am
post #2 of 10

Hi and Welcome to CC!
My goodness, for your very first post, this is a doozy! Sounds like you learned a year's worth of lessons just on this cake. There is nothing wrong with wanting it to be perfect and you tried your best. I'll look forward to hearing some cake victories in the future!!
PSue

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:43am
post #3 of 10

I'm sorry to hear all that! Did you have it adequately supported? That and transporting it really well chilled should help next time. Don't give up! icon_smile.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 4:53am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I'm sorry to hear all that! Did you have it adequately supported? That and transporting it really well chilled should help next time. Don't give up! icon_smile.gif

I agree! You always need support. Check in the article section on CC and you can find "how to stack a cake" being chilled is very important as well.

Welcome to CC!

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 6:01am
post #5 of 10

i can't tell you how much i love the bakery crafts SPS system! i just transported a tiered topsy turvy cake for 2 hours in the car and it didn't budge an inch!! arrived in perfect condition! the sps system is cheap, easy and the best way to go for stacked cakes, i have no worries about transporting stacked cakes this way, you should look into it.

adflorea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adflorea Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 10

In retrospect I definately did not have enough support in the bottom cake. Is the sps system for tiered cakes or stacked cakes? I won't give up but I will be overly cautious in the future. I feel like I've learned quite a lot. Cried quite a lot too!

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adflorea

In retrospect I definately did not have enough support in the bottom cake. Is the sps system for tiered cakes or stacked cakes?

its for both. you can buy 9 inch dowels pillars and cut them the size you need, or you can buy 4 inch pillars and use them as is for a stacked cake. i have a biz so i can order directly from bakery crafts, but if you don't have a biz you can buy them at any cake store that carries bakery crafts products.

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:35pm
post #8 of 10

you def need support. i use pillars and a hard plate in between each of my layers. i always add a couple extra in the bottom tier. you can never go wrong with extra support. good luck...hth!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:39pm
post #9 of 10

You can use regular boards and dowels too, but if you want to transport an assembled cake then it's good to hammer a sharpened central dowel down through all the layers into the base.

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:50pm
post #10 of 10

Bless your heart,i could cry with you. just dont give up,you learn from your mistakes...Believe me I have them all the time....
I looked at your photos and I really like your work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%