Can I Have Your Recipe?

Decorating By sandygirl Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 2:13am by SugarFrosted

sandygirl Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:07am
post #1 of 9

How does everyone answer the question..."can I have your recipe?" I have a family member that is wanting some recipes that I am working on for when I do open up a shop some day, a long time from now.

I also get this question at work, but usually I just make out like I forgot to bring it a couple of days in a row and the co-worker just gives up.

I just wanted to get some advice.

8 replies
Sandra80 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:14am
post #2 of 9

i give it but i omit something or give the wrong measurement of something so it never will come out the same way for them as it does for me and they'll still want to have my cakes because they just can't seem to get it right.

CherryLane Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:15am
post #3 of 9

I tell them I'll teach you anything I know, but my receipes are my own. Is there anything else I can help you with?

cariage Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:17am
post #4 of 9

there was a thread about this last week. And it got some pretty useful answers.

misha35 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:19am
post #5 of 9

I requested a recipe on here one time & the person said they do not give out their business recipes but directed me to a place where I could find something similar. i appreciated the honesty & found what i was looking for as well as a source for other good recipes.

justme50 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:44am
post #6 of 9

I usually give them the recipe. Call me weird, but I just don't mind giving out any of my recipes. I consider it a huge compliment.

I find that 99% of the time, people end up ordering from me whether I give them the recipe or not. They just don't have the time to do it or find out it's just too much trouble to try it themselves.

And I end up looking good because I was "nice" and didn't refuse their request. icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:59am
post #7 of 9

The only one I don't give out is my carrot cake recipe. I don't mind sharing any other recipe though.

lilypie Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:03am
post #8 of 9

well, i would suggest being honest... either give the recipe correctly, or tell them that you would rather not share them.
It may seem corny, but honesty really is the best policy!

SugarFrosted Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:13am
post #9 of 9

If the recipe is a common one, like on the back of a soup can, I have no problem sharing. But if it's a family recipe, I am very cautious after an experience I had several years ago.

When my mother died in 1991, I inherited her recipe box. Inside were all the recipes for dishes I remembered as a child. She refused to share the recipes when she was alive, always saying "it won't turn out the same for you and you'll be disappointed." Well I found one in that box that I remembered from when I was really small, a recipe called Aunt Ellen's Goulash. Beef and veggies and yummy goodness. I followed the recipe exactly and made it for a group of friends who really loved it. It tasted exactly as I remembered it. On that night a friend asked for the recipe and I thought to myself "sure, why not?" So I wrote it down for her.

A few months later, she had our group over for dinner and said, "I made your Aunt Ellen's Goulash." We sat down to dinner and she served the "goulash." It did not resemble the dish I had made in any way at all. It was not very good. Yet all through dinner, she kept telling people it was my recipe and encouraging others to ask me for it. Scandalous! The very idea that she would ask for the recipe and then dramatically change it to be almost inedible and THEN still say it was mine caused me to decide to never again share another family recipe. My mother was right about one thing, it didn't turn out the same for my friend (because she completely disregarded the ingredients) and I was very disappointed.

The best answer for me is "Sorry, it's a family recipe and I am not allowed to share." Period.

Quote by @%username% on %date%