Those Darn Big Cakes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By afh0212 Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 12:44am by meldancer

afh0212 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:26am
post #1 of 6

I would like to know how some of my fellow CC'ers do this. When you are doing a large layer of tier cake, such as a 16 inch square cake.....what special tip do you use to transfer the second layer on top of the first?? I have not had much luck. Today I had a wedding cake and the top layer of the 16 inch broke in half! I was able to use it, but there as to be some secret or tool or something that I am not aware of!!!!!!!!!
If anyone can ease my pain, please do so, I will be forever grateful!!!
Andrea

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:31am
post #2 of 6

Well I usually flip the cake over onto a cardboard ....torte it and then flip it back over.I take the cakeboard that is covered and glue it down to the cake and flip it again.Then I take a second cardboard and slip it in between the layers and lift it off...fill the cake and then slowly but swiftly slide the top back off on to the cake like a pizza.Does that make sense! Very Minimal breakage!!

afh0212 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:37am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Well I usually flip the cake over onto a cardboard ....torte it and then flip it back over.I take the cakeboard that is covered and glue it down to the cake and flip it again.Then I take a second cardboard and slip it in between the layers and lift it off...fill the cake and then slowly but swiftly slide the top back off on to the cake like a pizza.Does that make sense! Very Minimal breakage!!

Yes, that makes sense, but I am not doing the torte thing. I just am putting a second layer on. I put the first down on cardboard, icing the top and then when I go to put on the second layer I am stumped. My cakes are usually not dry and won't just easily slip off the cardboard. They stick to it. Ok...does THAT make any sense???????? icon_biggrin.gif

afh0212 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:39am
post #4 of 6

It is so hard to try and explain things....I have a hard time putting thoughts to words!!!! icon_cry.gif

meldancer Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:44am
post #6 of 6

When I layer cakes bigger than 10" I use my flat, edgeless cookie sheet. Dust it with powdered sugar and then slide the cake onto the sheet, then line up the edges and slowly slide/wiggle the top layer onto the bottom layer. Keep your sheet at a fairly low angle, otherwise it will break the cake.

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%