Cant Stop Laughing Please Help!

Decorating By psurrette Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 10:42pm by jen2184

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 30

I got a call from a customer this morning. She saw my castle cake and wants one for her daughters birthday but she says " I dont want it to be all that fancy" Maybe just a square cake with a round one on top with only 2 colums and turetts. OK so I look for some pictures of cakes that will suit her needs better than the cake I have. She sends me an email saying she found one she fell in love with and wants this cake......

Is this not a fancy cake? And how do I go about cutting the stairs into the cake?

Thanks Paula
LL

29 replies
Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 30

Not "all that fancy"????!! Um. What would she consider "fancy" then??? An ACTUAL CASTLE with working interior plumbing?!

ROFL!!

I'd say no, just to be contrary...

cupcakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakers Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 30

Paula
I think you should make the princess and prince charming walking down the stairs to fancy it up a bit!!WHAT is she thinking NOT fancy.Good luck these are the kind of clients that are nightmares.Let us know how it goes.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 30

. . . where's the moat . . . sorry, it's not fancy unless there's a moat . . .

dragonflydreams Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflydreams

. . . where's the moat . . . sorry, it's not fancy unless there's a moat . . .

JUST KIDDING . . .

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 30

I dont want it to be all that fancy" Maybe just a square cake with a round one on top with only 2 colums and turrets.

What does this woman not understand about "just a square with a round"
She sends a photo with a four if not five tier cake???
Seeing everybody is adding their "sixpence worth here" let me add mine too,
don't forget to put the carriage and horses in as well, seeing she doesn't want anything fancy!!

I wish you luck with this one!!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 30

Don't want to sound totally off base but did this woman, by any chance, have an idea about what a cake like this would cost? I'm thinking that if she said she didn't want it this "fancy" she was saying "I don't want to spend as much money as this cake would cost."

Don't forget to put the alligators in the moat when you add the carriage and horses. Oh yeah..........don't forget Cinderella and her glass slippers also.

Diane

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 30

And the magic wand should actually shoot stars somehow, if you could, too, pretty please...

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 30

RI or fondant covered stryofoam stairs (with flat/closed back to sit inside a column cut from the cake).

(JMHO.)

Agree that the only thing the customer doesn't want fancy is the "price tag". icon_mad.gifthumbsdown.gif

Would love to know how she responds when you price out this extravaganza. tapedshut.gif

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 11:03pm
post #10 of 30

Perhaps a fire-breathing dragon would "fancy" it up a bit?

I say quote her a price for that cake and see how fast she decides what she wants vs. what she can afford.

Good luck . . . keep us posted.

~ JanO icon_biggrin.gif

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 11:28pm
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocmom

I say quote her a price for that cake and see how fast she decides what she wants vs. what she can afford.

I'm with this one, quote her a realistic price and we will see how 'in love' with this cake she really is! Maybe she now has her heart set on it and you could end up with a fantastic order! Looks like it would be a lot of fun to make this one...I actually saved the photo myself!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 11:48pm
post #12 of 30

I totally agree with everyone who said she doesn't want a "fancy" price tag! Did you go over pricing with her?

If you're going to do it and want tips on the stairs, let me know...I have a Debbie Brown book that has a cake kind of like this (with stairs and all).

Good luck!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 11:50pm
post #13 of 30

Did she by any chance mention being on a budget?

I'd consider that fancy!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:46am
post #14 of 30

LOL! That's pretty funny!!! Yeah, you can whip that thing out in about and hour, right??

That would be cool if she does want to pay for it though....it's a really cute cake!

Courtney

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:51am
post #15 of 30

I can't stop laughing at all the responses!! icon_lol.gif

Sometimes we need to ask these people what they REALLY mean! Tell her what you think is NOT fancy...

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:03am
post #16 of 30

Still chuckling over the answers some of you have suggested. I agree price it out and see if she stays with this one. Reminds me of a friend of a friend who said she saw my grandsons cake on our family website and would like the exact cake for her son. I chuckled and said Well I can do it but you may not like the price. When i told her the price she agreed she didn't like the price. I just sent her a sketch with pricing for a lot fewer servings.

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:16am
post #17 of 30

oh my,, I can't wait to find out what happens with your customer..

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:20am
post #18 of 30

I'm surprised no one has mentioned diamonds to fancy it up...
icon_lol.gif

cinjam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinjam Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:23am
post #19 of 30

You all are a very funny group of people (that's why I can't seem to stay away).

That cake is fancy even to my six year old standing beside me whose opinion I just asked for. But he also added, "will she spray it with that shiny dust (luster dust) you love so much? That would make it REALLY fancy."

psurrette Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:53am
post #20 of 30

Well, I am beside myself in laughter with this one. When we spoke about the first cake only 2 toer a dn3 turrets I told her only because she needed an idea on the cost somewhere around 100.00 but for the cake she fell in love with WOW 100 wont cover the flowers it requires!
I will keep you posted!

THanks

psurrette Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:53am
post #21 of 30

Well, I am beside myself in laughter with this one. When we spoke about the first cake only 2 toer a dn3 turrets I told her only because she needed an idea on the cost somewhere around 100.00 but for the cake she fell in love with WOW 100 wont cover the flowers it requires!
I will keep you posted!

THanks

dragonflydreams Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:50am
post #22 of 30

don't forget the drawbridge . . . every moat needs a drawbridge . . . (good luck!!)

psurrette Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:41pm
post #23 of 30

Well,

Heres the ending to this story,

After all the emails and questions quoteing a price for diamnonds on the cake. The customer has decided to use a differnt person for her cake.
I guess you win some you loose some! Now on another note.... someone else called me about wanting a boy castle cake for Dec and someone quoted her a price to feed 50 people for 50 bucks! HA HA NOT ME

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:33pm
post #24 of 30

Unbelieveable...........50 people--50 bucks. Not from this kitchen, for sure!

Alls well that ends well, they say. I'm sure you will have orders to take this one's place in no time.

Diane

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:44pm
post #25 of 30

OMG...well next thing is a real castle!

di60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
di60 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:45am
post #26 of 30

Don't fret over not getting to do the Castle Cake, which by the way was extremely fancy if you ask me.....like you said, some you win and some you loose. I got the feeling she wouldn't have wanted to pay you what it would be worth to do it.

psurrette Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:41pm
post #27 of 30

Well the next customer called again and I quoted her a price of 150.00 for a 2 tier castle cake made with the wilton kit. She didnt bark at the cost at all. Whats with the castle cakes all of a sudden is there a full moon?

meancat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meancat Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 9:17pm
post #28 of 30

Thats funny - we are doing that exact castle cake for a couple in Dec... I'm excited to do it, so hopefully it will come out looking that cute!

psurrette Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 9:36pm
post #29 of 30

Word of advice on using the wilton kit. I drilled wholes in the bottom of the colums so i could put dowels thru them. trasporting it finished is a nightmare!

jen2184 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen2184 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 10:42pm
post #30 of 30

this lady is difinately out of her mind if she thinks this isent fancy..its true by her saying fancy she meant something cheap but then she should get what she pays for, for the stairs why dont you try cutting the actual cake into steps and covering it with fondant

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%