I melted some Wilton's chocolate melts to dip cake balls and it looked too thick so I added a little cream and ended up with a fudge-like consistancy. I had to roll it into little balls and flatten them to wrap the cake balls in. Luckily I had only made a few to try. Anywho....do you just melt the chocolate by itself or thin it somehow?
If I have to keep eating my mistakes I won't be able to fit in the kitchen.
No, you should not have to add any liquid to the melts. Just make sure you melt them slowly and they should be fine. Not sure why yours turned out soo thick, I have never had that problem
i just made cake balls for the first time this weekend. I just melted candymelts with mini chocolate chips on 50% power in 30 second intervals. The 50% power is the key!
I will try that, thank you. Any excuse to get out the chocolate. Thank you so much for your quick responses. I love this site.
Never add a liquid to chocolate (unless a candy oil) because it will cause the chocolate to sieze. This is why yours went lumy/fudge-like on you. In fact, adding corn syrup to chocolate is how you make candy clay (chocolate clay).
Another problem is in the consistency of the temperature. I recommend getting a Wilton chocolate melter (use the 40% coupon and it's a decent price.) That way, you don't have to worry about remelting the chocolate.
Oh, and I forgot -- I agree about adding some chocolate chips to make it thinner.
To thin candy you either add paramount crystals or shortening to the candy. It makes a slightly thinner consistency that is sometimes better for dipping and is also used to save candy that has gotten a little water based liquid in it.
I will look for that Wilton melter and try added chocolate chips or some oil to make it easier to dip. With so many people here that make the cake balls I don't think that I had ever read of anyone who had trouble dipping.