Covering A Cake Dummy

Decorating By BCo Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 12:19pm by BCo

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 15

could someone point me in the direction of a how to for covering a cake dummy with fondant. I'm not sure what I need to do to prepare the dummy before I put the fondant on!

thanks so much!
Brandie

14 replies
MFitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MFitz Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 15

1st- Sand the edges (both Round & square) so the fondant does not tear

2nd- do a light coating of piping gel- so the fondant cover is smooth(no wrinkles)

Have Fun!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 15

I also highly recommen using Wilton fondant for it! Its great to work with and holds up well. And since it tastes so nasty you dont have to worry about anyone or anything trying to eat it!!! lol

BCo Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 15

thank you so much - so just sand the edges and apply piping gel? Simple as that!!

Yes- I did get the Wilton fondant - wouldn't want to waste my good stuff!!! I'm taking a fondant drapes and bows class and we need to come with a prepared fondant covered dummy cake and I've never done one before!! Thanks so much - hope it's as easy as it sounds!!!

Brandie

weirkd Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:24am
post #5 of 15

I even using royal icing instead of piping gel. For some reason the piping gel makes it too wet for me and if I dont get it on right the first time you cant just pull it off and knead it and use it again. With royal icing it doesnt really matter.
So where are you taking the classes at?
I love your avatar! That was at the cake show last March wasnt it? I just left the show on Saturday when he showed up. I kick myself for leaving when I did! Maybe this year I will finally get to meet him! He's so cute!

BCo Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 15

I am taking the cake class at Kake Kraft Korner - it's in Linthicum. It's tiny shop jam packed with so much stuff! I could be in there forever! This is my first class so I'm not sure about the instructor or how it will go - They have a lot of classes that fill up quickly.

Yes- My avatar was from the show in March - I had so much fun! Duff is so dreamy!!! I just won a cake from his shop through an auction for Habitat for Humanity!! I can't wait to get it! I'm going to do a seperate post about it with all the details so I can share with everyone!! I'm so excited!

Thank you again!!!
Brandie

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 15

after lightly sanding the edges you can also mist your dummy with water before applying the fondant; works well and is very inexpensive! thumbs_up.gif

weirkd Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 15

Yah, I've been to Kake Kraft Shop. I thought that was still Glen Burnie? Oh well! They do have a lot of things there.
Well good luck with your class and let me know how you liked it! Im going to be taking a class with Chef Lori in NJ in Febuary. She was featured on Sugar Rush for her dramatic flower cakes. Im looking forward to that!
Yes, very dreamy! I dont know what it is, but something about him is just a real turn on. And the fact he has a great personality is even better!

BCo Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 15

well I guess it technically is Glen Burnie! LOL I grew up in this area so I've always called it Linthicum!! Sorry - but yes, that's the place!! I will definitely let you know how it goes. I'm not big into fondant b/c it scares me - lol - so I hope this will help me out some!

I know - I can't put a finger on it either but Duff is extremely Dreamy! But then again my friends do tell me I have a thing for "fluffy" bald guys! icon_smile.gif

Good luck with your class - that sounds awesome.

Beth 19 - I will try that trick too!! thank you - and do I just use regular sand paper to sand the edges?

weirkd Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:37pm
post #10 of 15

Yah, me too when it comes to "fluffy" guys!
You should check out Lori's website too. You really will be amazed at her work! its www.wildflowersbylori.com
Yes, use regular sandpaper or an emery board works well too! I always have one of those hanging around!!

BCo Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:17pm
post #11 of 15

thanks about the tip with the emory board - I don't think i have sandpaper hanging around but I do have one of those!! That's a great a great tip!

I'll check out her site - thanks for the link!

weirkd Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:55pm
post #12 of 15

No problem! I tend to find uses for things like that when Im in a pinch!!

BCo Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:46am
post #13 of 15

that's right necessity is the mother of invention, right!

Ok- so I used the emory board and it worked like a charm! My dummy cake isn't super smooth on top - I guess b/c the dummy isn't totally smooth - I think I might have to try the whole royal icing deal so I will have a totally smooth surface to start with, could you tell me how to go about doing that - do I just cover the dummy with it and then let it dry completely? - but all in all for my first try - it's not so bad!

thanks again!

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:17am
post #14 of 15

instead of royal icing just run your medium to fine sand paper over the entire dummy, some styrofoam is more "bumpy" than others so this really helps. If you do a quick sanding you will get a perfectly smooth finish! You can get the sand paper at most Wal-Marts or definitely Home Depot or Lowes in the paint dept.

HTH!

BCo Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:19pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks for the tip - I guess I will chalk this one up to a learning experience!! I will stock up on some sandpaper the next time I'm at Home Depot - I guess I wasn't prepared when I started this last night - so in a pinch I had to make due!!! Thank you all again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%